PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

slowwideturns

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2012
I thought I would start a thread comparing these two classics. What do you guys think of them?

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I have a 5 hour drive tomorrow. I'll smoke them both and I'll post my thoughts. I definitely enjoy PA and Granger. So I'll add SWR tomorrow.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
To be fair, it's been a while since I've smoked SWR, but going on memory, I will take PA hands down. Better taste, better cut, better burn characteristics.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I'm a Sir Walter guy. Regular not the aromatic. Got a tub of the aro and I'm gonna jar it up and come back to it later (just not cutting it at THIS time)...

chilipalmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2017
I am a burley guy. In fact, I am convinced that burley is a clear message from the Almighty that he loves us and wants us to be happy. Sir Walter Raleigh is a staple of my rotation. No muss. No fuss. Just one of the greatest all day burley options on the planet. Prince Albert, for me, is an affront to all burley, past, present and future. I have tried and tried to like it and it just doesn't work for me. No matter what I've tried, it's ashy, flavorless, and off-putting. I am constantly amazed at the love it gets, but, to each his own. They're still making it, so, someone has to like it. :-D
Cheers,
Chili

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
I am a burley guy. In fact, I am convinced that burley is a clear message from the Almighty that he loves us and wants us to be happy
Love that quote. I'm a burley guy as well. I smoke whole leaf, generally Burley with a tad of Virginia. I have an aversion, possibly an allergy, to at least some casings. SWR is the drug store blend I can smoke and enjoy. It seems to be the most honest Burley with the least additives.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I bought my first codger tub as SWR and smoked most of it then brought in a tub of PA. At first I didn't like the PA compared to SWR, but after about half the tub, I began to find its values.

Same thing happened with Carter Hall. It just seems to take awhile to adjust and acclimate to a new blend to fully get its flavors.

Conclusion? They're all fine.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
6ba88ec94dc4d4827074cde2f3ff3191-peterson-pipes-pipe-dream-edited-1-318x600.jpg

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Slowwide, I just finished three bowls of SWR. I'm not a fan, as far as it over PA. My PA thoughts match Aldecaker. BUT three bowls do not a keeper or loser make. I'll definitely smoke the rest of it, because it was good, just not as good as the PA or aged Granger I've been smoking.

slowwideturns

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2012
Good to hear. I'm making a tobacco run in the next day or two and getting a variety of otc's to compare just for something different. I've been smoking for a while now and I've always went for higher end tobacco and now I want to try the cheaper stuff and compare, plus this is the stuff my grandfather smoked for over 60 years so I want to smoke what he was back in the day. I'll give a synopsis when I get through them all.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Maybe I bought it stale, or the MM cob filter was too much, but SWR was way too mild, almost tasteless, when I tried a pouch. However, when I tried SWR Aromatic it was an instant hit, with Virginia as a condiment and three flavoring liqueurs. I used to enjoy Prince Albert, but over the years, the cocoa-plus flavoring has become a drag on the good burley base, and I've found many burley blends i like better. At this point, I like C&D Riverboat Gambler, D&R Two Timer, and especially Semois Tabac-Manil for burley and burley variant leaf. And Old Joe Krantz original and Billy Budd, among others.

slowwideturns

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2012
Well I just got back from the store and I'm sitting down with both and going to commence my comparison soon. I'll post my thoughts soon

yohanan

Lifer
Oct 1, 2011
Old Belt/U.S.A.
I like them both, but if the initial outcome of choosing between the two, over threats of being shot in the head, I would choose Prince Albert.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Yohanan, agreed. I like PA more. I've now smoked 15 bowls of SWR. Been there Done that. I'll stick with PA and the aged Granger. I like them both way, way better.

Status
Not open for further replies.