Tags:  No tags yet. 

Prince Albert Vs Sir Walter Raleigh

(23 posts)
  • Started 1 week ago by slowwideturns
  • Latest reply from slowwideturns
  1. slowwideturns

slowwideturns

Login to Send PM

I thought I would start a thread comparing these two classics. What do you guys think of them?

j.k. livin'... the j's for just the k's for keep
    Posted 1 week ago #
  2. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a 5 hour drive tomorrow. I'll smoke them both and I'll post my thoughts. I definitely enjoy PA and Granger. So I'll add SWR tomorrow.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 1 week ago #
  3. slowwideturns

slowwideturns

Login to Send PM

What's your thoughts on Prince Albert?

Posted 1 week ago #
  4. ray47

ray47

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like PA over SWR. PA has a more nutty taste and a better nicotine content.

Posted 1 week ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

To be fair, it's been a while since I've smoked SWR, but going on memory, I will take PA hands down. Better taste, better cut, better burn characteristics.

A man who serves his country is a patriot. A man who serves his government is an employee. The two are not always the same thing.
    Posted 1 week ago #
  6. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm a Sir Walter guy. Regular not the aromatic. Got a tub of the aro and I'm gonna jar it up and come back to it later (just not cutting it at THIS time)...

"The weez..."
    Posted 1 week ago #
  7. chilipalmer

chilipalmer

Login to Send PM

I am a burley guy. In fact, I am convinced that burley is a clear message from the Almighty that he loves us and wants us to be happy. Sir Walter Raleigh is a staple of my rotation. No muss. No fuss. Just one of the greatest all day burley options on the planet. Prince Albert, for me, is an affront to all burley, past, present and future. I have tried and tried to like it and it just doesn't work for me. No matter what I've tried, it's ashy, flavorless, and off-putting. I am constantly amazed at the love it gets, but, to each his own. They're still making it, so, someone has to like it.

Cheers,

Chili

“Pipe: a primary masculine symbol with authoritarian overtones but also indicative of reliability and contentment.”
    -The Dictionary of Visual Language, 1980
    Posted 1 week ago #
  8. davek

davek

Login to Send PM

I am a burley guy. In fact, I am convinced that burley is a clear message from the Almighty that he loves us and wants us to be happy

Love that quote. I'm a burley guy as well. I smoke whole leaf, generally Burley with a tad of Virginia. I have an aversion, possibly an allergy, to at least some casings. SWR is the drug store blend I can smoke and enjoy. It seems to be the most honest Burley with the least additives.

Posted 1 week ago #
  9. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I bought my first codger tub as SWR and smoked most of it then brought in a tub of PA. At first I didn't like the PA compared to SWR, but after about half the tub, I began to find its values.
    Same thing happened with Carter Hall. It just seems to take awhile to adjust and acclimate to a new blend to fully get its flavors.
    Conclusion? They're all fine.

Posted 1 week ago #
  10. scloyd

scloyd

Login to Send PM

scott
    Posted 1 week ago #
  11. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Slowwide, I just finished three bowls of SWR. I'm not a fan, as far as it over PA. My PA thoughts match Aldecaker. BUT three bowls do not a keeper or loser make. I'll definitely smoke the rest of it, because it was good, just not as good as the PA or aged Granger I've been smoking.

Posted 1 week ago #
  12. slowwideturns

slowwideturns

Login to Send PM

Good to hear. I'm making a tobacco run in the next day or two and getting a variety of otc's to compare just for something different. I've been smoking for a while now and I've always went for higher end tobacco and now I want to try the cheaper stuff and compare, plus this is the stuff my grandfather smoked for over 60 years so I want to smoke what he was back in the day. I'll give a synopsis when I get through them all.

Posted 1 week ago #
  13. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I preferred PA, but now that the H&H Prince Edward is available in 2oz. rather than just the tub, I tried it and it is honestly better to me, and less expensive.

Posted 1 week ago #
  14. slowwideturns

slowwideturns

Login to Send PM

Are you talking about prince andrew?

Posted 1 week ago #
  15. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes, I meant Andrew, and said it in my head. That is not what spewed forth from my fingers though. Apologies.

Posted 1 week ago #
  16. slowwideturns

slowwideturns

Login to Send PM

No worries I was just checking

Posted 1 week ago #
  17. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Maybe I bought it stale, or the MM cob filter was too much, but SWR was way too mild, almost tasteless, when I tried a pouch. However, when I tried SWR Aromatic it was an instant hit, with Virginia as a condiment and three flavoring liqueurs. I used to enjoy Prince Albert, but over the years, the cocoa-plus flavoring has become a drag on the good burley base, and I've found many burley blends i like better. At this point, I like C&D Riverboat Gambler, D&R Two Timer, and especially Semois Tabac-Manil for burley and burley variant leaf. And Old Joe Krantz original and Billy Budd, among others.

Posted 1 week ago #
  18. slowwideturns

slowwideturns

Login to Send PM

Well I just got back from the store and I'm sitting down with both and going to commence my comparison soon. I'll post my thoughts soon

Posted 1 week ago #
  19. yohanan

yohanan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like them both, but if the initial outcome of choosing between the two, over threats of being shot in the head, I would choose Prince Albert.

Smoke What You Like, And Like What You Smoke...Regardless Of What Anyone Else Thinks...
    Posted 1 week ago #
  20. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yohanan, agreed. I like PA more. I've now smoked 15 bowls of SWR. Been there Done that. I'll stick with PA and the aged Granger. I like them both way, way better.

Posted 1 week ago #
  21. slowwideturns

slowwideturns

Login to Send PM

I have to say I like prince albert better. It's not as bland and smokes a lot smoother.

Posted 1 week ago #
  22. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I know it's not a response to your question but give Carter Hall a shot.

I gotta tell you that I've fallen for OTC's.

Posted 1 week ago #
  23. slowwideturns

slowwideturns

Login to Send PM

I did try some, I'll to smoke a few more bowls before I give a definite answer but so far I'm not a huge fan but time will tell.

Posted 1 week ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   mechanic, buckaroo, chasingembers, donjgiles, ashdigger, cranseiron, ron123, zitotczito, blackadderlxx, hoosierpipeguy, samuelgawith01