Prince Albert - Prince Albert ("regular")

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
The pouch note of this tobacco summarizes the experience; in the words of one noted taster, “It smells like a brownie.” Rich burley mixes with a faint touch of vanilla and a dose of cocoa, which manifests in a smoke in which the nutty burley flavors form a continuum with the chocolate. This belongs to that predominantly American genre of semi-aromatics, meaning that while it has flavoring, it is more like a top casing than the soaking of fluid given to aromatics. A working definition of aromatic: any tobacco blend where the flavoring essentially overwhelms the tobacco. Semi-aromatics on the other hand — like Prince Albert — feature mostly tobacco flavor, complemented by a top note. This distinction, while seeming fragile, nonetheless conveys what this blend is about. If you like the taste of well-matured burley with a hint of sweetened cacao, Prince Albert will provide hours of complication-free — the dominant trait of over-the-counter (OTC) blends like this one — joyful puffing.
This is my review. I go on to suggest making a 70-30 mix of C&D Dark Burley (

skulltula

Lurker
Aug 17, 2015
I like PA. It's a great mild smoke, perfect for the morning when I want to drink some coffee. There are a couple local B&Ms at which I have found where I can buy some, so no problems with availability. I've combined with a few different tobaccos, but by itself, it's quite satisfactory.
I must admit, though, that I have more of a soft spot for Half & Half. PA is still good, though!
Like the username, by the way. I also listen to death metal m/

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Hails to a fellow death metal listener! It's ideal music for pipe smoking, although sometimes doom (Skepticism, Ceremonium) can be useful also...

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Good review. I love my premium tobaccos but I always keep a pouch of Prince Albert or Carter Hall on my car bench. I occasionally get in the mood for a good, old fashioned American blend and when I do, nothing else satisfies.

smokinfireman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2015
The Prince must find another pipe to live in. The last pouch I got made me sick. I almost went to the E.R.. The embers hit something in the tobacco halfway through the bowl and fizzled audibly, turned a nasty yellow-brown and I almost suffocated. Blood pressure and pulse went through the roof and I thought I was gonna puke. No more Prince for me. I'll stick to the Captain or my beloved Paladin.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
That sounds awful. Smoke turned yellow-brown... hmm, almost sounds like a bug or something in there. I know that happens with the pre-bagged lettuce for salads so it could with tobacco as well.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I preferred PA to CH when I tried them both. Liked PA Choice better. Lane RR fills that niche for me,now.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I get em all in tubs and usually find I like the ones most that get depleted first. Scarcity seems to enhance value.

As for some otc style bulk burley at an even better price, try some PS 702. I think they sell it mainly as a mixer, but it smokes wonderfully all by itself. I think it's still on sale at Pipes and Cigars? anything 4 oz or more @ $1.75 per oz. Considering that PA or CH is around $33.00 for 14 oz. that's an incentive.

Status
Not open for further replies.