PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

haroldt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2013
Melbourne, Fl
Two years ago I got back into this hobby and I never considered getting any OTC stuff. But a few months ago I decided to go back to my childhood and get some Prince Albert. At the same time I placed an order for Hearth and Home Prince Andrew.
By the time my order came, I had several enjoyable bowls of Albert. Being a little baccy snob, I felt certain that I needed to find reason - believe that Andrew was suppose to the better prince. However the more I smoked them both, I honestly could not tell which one I liked more or which one seemed to be the better quality. One day I believed Andrew was the winner; later that week, I might think Albert was superior.
Now I'm totally confused! Today while doing a bunch of yard work I must confess, I was totally enjoying a bowl of the classic - Albert.
Who here has smoked both? Any opinions?

Reactions: Cap

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I haven't tried Prince Andrew, but I have a lot of faith in those Midtown blends. Being an non-aromatic guy mostly, I went right for the only non-aro in the series, Chestnut, which is six different tobaccos. I guess it is a classic American/English blend, but I liked it right away, and my pleasure has only grown. Often, when blenders get above four or five tobaccos, things can get pretty harsh, or just kind of indistinct in taste. But Russ did some wicked magic with this one, and it pleases me every time. In a tub tobacco, no less. Damn.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Haroldt: here's my review of Prince Andrew where I compare the two blends if it'll help:
This is chocolatey, molasses and nutty, though a little less so than the original in those respects. The cut and look is identical. It burns a little cooler than the original, and while it does not have the syrupy flavor (and occasional chemical note) of PA, there’s a slight alcohol feel in the topping in a few spots. The level of mildness is the same, and the flavor is consistent to the finish. Burns at the same rate as the original and leaves a similar, lighter aftertaste. The original tends to be a little cigarettish at times, a little more so near the end. That’s not true of this version. If the chocolate, molasses and nut flavors were a little stronger, it’d be hard to tell the difference between the two, chemical hits of the original not withstanding. But the flavor is lighter here.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo haro
I always start off with the thought that RussO uses better quality leaf than the OTCs would have. I can believe P. Andrew is superior to the admittedly fine P. Albert, even if it's in a tub rather than a can.
hp

les

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I'm a big fan of Prince Albert but as of yet I haven't smoked Prince Andrew. I did get some Prince Albert Choice Blend in a few days ago and it is better then regular Prince Albert.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
They are two slightly different iterations of the same style of blend. I enjoy both; if I had to give one the edge, it would be the Prince Andrew, because the tub I went through smoked a little drier than the PA.

Status
Not open for further replies.