PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
just bought some prince albert - always smoked it on off for years till now - burned the hell out of my mouth - never before - smoking on off 60 years - for about a year i didnt buy any - they seem to have added some red virginia which is a no go for me - red virginia also burns horribly.

i smoke other burleys - no issue - have about a dozen tins of mac barren burley london blend bought when it was discontinued - no burn -

hate to say it but i am off the prince albert what ever they did with it. too bad

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Well, that's the worst news I've heard for a while. I wonder why they'd change it with the deeming regulations looming?

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
me again - just lit up a bowl of pa - fire - lit up a bowl of aromatic molto dolce in same pipe - no fire.

has to be something.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I remember PA as a lively burley blend with pleasing flavor, but the last pouch I bought had the opposite problem to the originating post here, in that mine was incredibly bland, with no tobacco nor aromatic flavor. I was disappointed. i hope the current blenders take note and bring the blend back to its former flavor profile.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I saw rumours of a reformulation on TobaccoReviews but I haven't smoked PA in years so I can't say for certain...

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
It's funny how people are different. I always get bit with Burley blends but VA's are smooth. I only smoke VA's and some English.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Just a thought, that until about ten years ago, codger blends were the major showcase for burley, good or less good. With many of the premium pipe tobacco blenders now using burley -- I especially think of Cornell & Diehl, but others too -- both the taste for burley and the bar for being considered a great tasting burley blend have both risen higher. I also think of the burley variant Semois Tabac-Manil. Burley, it's not just for mowing the lawn anymore.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Funny old blend PA. I was always amazed that it was sold for both pipe and cigarettes and probably explains the large number of tins of the stuff still kicking around.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
The original formula used Virginia Brights, a flavored Burley, and 10% Oriental(s) -- the same as the original formula for Camel cigarettes, though the balance was probably different. This info was published in The Tobacco Timeline by Gene Borio.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
That doesn't surprise me Cortez. I have rolled the odd cigarette out of the stuff in the past ages ago but it seemed very difficult to get it to burn evenly. In a pipe it just burned too hot for my tastes but some people love the blend. As they say 'different horses for different courses' although I have often wondered when they stopped selling the stuff in those great red tins with the flip lid. Anyone know?

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
I am glad I saw this thread. I thought I was going a bit crazy there for a while. I bought the last 3 pouches of PA at a local shop a while back, and they ordered in more. It was in a new fancy box, not the old generic looking red PA box. I notice the stuff in the new box tastes very different, and I was getting a serious tingle of the chemical burn variety that I never experienced before with PA. As an aside, I also noticed my last two pouches of CH tasted really weird, and gives me the same chemical tingle. What is the world coming to..

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
R.J. Reynolds was the original producer of Prince Albert until somewhere in the mid to late 1980's. A beautiful crimp cut blend that displayed Burley along with Orientals and Virginia and had some kick to it. I really liked it... a lot. The 1990's Middleton version was also quite good, but no Oriental components and seemed to have the humectants ramped up a bit. Never had an issue with bite. In fact, I thought it was one of the most biteless blends I ever smoked. I guess I could go out and get a fresh pouch to see what the difference is, but after reading this thread, I've been scared away!

Status
Not open for further replies.