PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Okay, so I was at my local Walmart and found a box of PA on the shelves and decided to buy it and give it a shot. I think I may start just buying all sorts of stuff I see like that just for kicks and smoke it. I man hell it was only like $3.60 for the box. I'm heading home to my family this weekend so I probably won't crack it until I get back. I'm just curious if any of you have smoked it and liked it.
paa-tp-1001.png

johnsteam86

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2018
There is actually a pouch inside. I used to pick up a couple pouches of it every time I was headed out to the rig. It smokes really well.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Prince Albert is what I smoke most often anymore. I like it in briars and positively love it in cobs. (There is a big difference; try it and you'll see.)

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
[From an old review ...]
According to The Tobacco Time Line, by Gene Borio, Prince Albert was introduced by RJ Reynolds in 1906. That a product should survive and remain popular for over 100 years makes a statement like no glowing review ever could. In brief, a lot of pipe smokers have found something special here, and I'm no exception.
P.A. has been in my regular rotation for many years as the first and last smoke of the day, and I've often wondered exactly what tobaccos were in the blend. It's a fairly uniform brown tone tobacco with a crimp cut, so its appearance doesn't offer much of a clue. Most folks call it just a Burley tobacco, but I have always found flavors that suggest more than that. The Tobacco Timeline referenced above offers a valuable clue. In a 1913 entry, the Camel brand was introduced and described as containing the same 3 ingredients as Prince Albert; namely, Piedmont Bright, a flavored and sweetened Burley from Kentucky, and 10% Turkish leaf. So there it is -- or as close to the recipe as I've found to date.

piffyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2015
I smoke it from time to time and probably enjoy the most of any OTCs available here in the states. It's simple and satisfying. Comfort food.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
What took you so long? PA's a classic and everyone needs to try it. Most like it occasionally or in rotation. Burns nice, tastes good, to me.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
PA is an everyday favorite. My great grandfather smoked a pipe from the age of 14 and PA was the only blend he ever smoked. He died in the early 50's and I can still remember seeing him with a pipe in his mouth and a can of PA in his pocket. I'm in my 70's and PA has been a staple in my rotation for 50+ yrs. Nothing better then PA in a cob with my morning coffee to start the day. The way I see it, your not an "Old Codger" if you haven't smoked PA.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Just FYI, Prince Albert is mostly burley and seems to have a light cocoa flavoring -- correct me if I'm wrong here. It lights easily and burns evenly, has minimal nicotine and a mild pleasant flavor. Most pipe smokers move on to unflavored non-aromatic blends, more complex aromatic blends, and single leaf, in a wide variety and in many different genres, but most enjoy a bowl of Prince Albert occasionally or in rotation. As someone mentioned, it goes great in a corncob pipe, but in briars too. PA is among the most widely distributed and smoked blends in the U.S.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Just FYI, Prince Albert is mostly burley...
Do you have an authoritative source? I could never find anything more definitive than the 1913 news item mentioned above, and I think the convention is to list the ingredients in order by quantity (which, incidentally, corresponds to how I taste them).

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I just had my first bowl of PA and I must say it's pretty good! I love how it smoked, didn't even dry it since it felt dry enough right out of the pouch. Very smooth and tasted quite nice. I actually did get a bit of that cocoa flavor and aroma as it burned. I really enjoyed it and will very likely be buying more of it. I think I could smoke it on a rotation and even just by itself for a while. I might even give the other variants a try. I think they have a soft vanilla and a cherry vanilla. Might taste pretty nice with an ice cold cherry vanilla Dr. Pepper.

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
I'd also recommend you give Carter Hall a try. I've got several pouches of each and use em both to break in new or newly refurbed briars.
Also a great tobacco to give a first timer to try, hardly ever a chance of any significant tongue bite.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I haven't seen any Carter Hall around, but I'll keep an eye out for it and pick some up if I see it.
P.A. Does seem easy to find. I think I liked the fact that it was a very nice smoke and I could easily keep it at the office without having to dry anything out for a quick smoke and all for the low, low price of about $4 for a box.

tradition

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 27, 2018
Connecticut, USA
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/1207/john-middleton-inc-prince-albert
This source says its a Burley, Cavendish with no flavoring.
OT but Carter Hall is the blend I smoke in the morning with my coffee, or just when I want a mild, flavorful smoke.
Both Prince Albert and Carter Hall are from John Middleton, Inc.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
+1 on Carter Hall. It tastes a just a little cigaretty straight but is still good. It's a great mixer. If you have a blend that is a little strong you can cut it with Carter Hall, or add a dash of something else to lose the cigaretty flavor.

Status
Not open for further replies.