PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Virginia's, due to their higher sugar content, tend to age the best.
Check out this article:
http://www.talkingtobacco.com/2012/07/pipe-tobacco-academy-aging-pipe-tobacco/
BTW ... welcome to the forum! :puffy:

Jan 19, 2015
cobguy, thanks for the hearty welcome! I'll check it out. I would love to occasionally check its progress over the years so I'm very interested in what it says about open tins or jars and the aging process. Thanks again.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
While Virginias are the stars in aging, and I think aging Virginia blends also improves the whole blend,

and non-aromatic burleys seem to benefit from some aging, maybe in the one to three year range,

and depending on how you feel about aromatics, they sometimes seem to improve with some time,

again not too extended, so that the tobacco comes forward a little and the flavoring recedes. The better

the aromatic blend, the more this is true, for me. This is just my experience, so take it with a grain.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
That''s a big old NO on the open tins or jars
Lol ... yeah, you have to seal it up and forget about it for awhile.
When I order tins, I try to get one to open and two or three to throw in the "cellar".
Same thing for bulk blends ... jar up most of it and leave a jar or two towards the front for smoking.
After only 6 months to a year many blends show marked improvement.

Jan 19, 2015
Great advice.
I want a sure thing with an aged tin so Virginia flake it is cobguy.
I'm taking it into retirement with me and that's several years out.
I noticed and appreciated your format btw and have subsequently adopted it. Easier on the old eyes.
I like both your suggestions that some blends can be aged short term yet still develop good results.
I need to research more about Virginias and Burleys.
Any favorite haunts for quality tobaccos? The only local pipe tobacco shop closed many years ago now and I'm hesitant to try the local interstate "smoke shop".

Status
Not open for further replies.