PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rottingcorpse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2015
I MIGHT be getting my hands on 6-7 pipes from the 60s or 70s from my grandpa's collection, assuming we can find it. I won't sell them, but I would like to know what they would be worth. Price ranges from no-name makers and price range from known makers. I really have no idea what they'll look like, because I've never seen them or my grandpa. He had already passed before I was born. Apparently though, he did take care of them quite well. So, is this question too vague, or could you guys give me some information how much they go for?

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I would need to see photographs of the pipes in order to have any idea of the their market value.

rottingcorpse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2015
Alright, thanks anyhow. If I get my hands on them, I'll post some pictures. Thanks for your help.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Without knowing what pipes they are, there is no use in guessing at prices. They aren't old enough to be valuable just for age. I'd assume they are worth a very modest sum unless there is something in the group surprising or special. I think their value is their value to you as a family legacy, in all probability. If you feel they are something special, when you receive them run pictures and give the text of the stamps on the pipes. Welcome to Forums.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
There are no foolish questions here. When you do get those heirloom pipes take the best photos possible and especially of any stamped nomenclature that may exist. There is more than enough collective knowledge floating around on these forums to help you get a fair idea of what monetary value might exist. Probably best to post in the "pipes" sub forum to get the best eyes on them.

rottingcorpse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2015
Thanks, Settersbrace for the advice. I'll make sure to take the most quality photos if I can get them, and I'll change where I post the topic.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm always interested in seeing these collections. Pix will determine if a pipe is worth $7 or $700. Some super vague values, assuming pipes are in smoked, but restorable condition.

Dr. Grabow's - $10-$15

Kaywoodies - $25 - $100

British pipes - $50 to sky's the limit

Italian pipes - same

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
'Hope I didn't sound dismissive at all. Actually, if the pipes aren't particularly valuable in themselves, but are well maintained and in good shape, their value to you as items of family history is what's really important here. Having them be worth a lot of money, and then having to decide whether you should sell them is not be best situation. I have a circular pipe stand (ten pipes) with an amber jar in the center. It was my grandfather's, and later my dad's, and finally passed along to me after many years in an upper kitchen cabinet. It might bring in a little cash, but it is greatly loved by me as a legacy from both my Gramps, who was a quiet man but quite a presence, and my Dad who was a major figure in my life and a sort of community celebrity as well. So no particular cash value, but important family history is maybe the best of all.

rottingcorpse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2015
Thanks for the information, SS Jones.
Well said, MSO!
Thank you, Wyfbane.
Very true, Daniel. I love There Will Be Blood by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.