PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
This should be a good one. Do any of you married fellows conceal just how much your pipes cost from your spouse? (Or live-in significant other?) I know I guard my pipes' cost with a vague "It was cheap" when I get another Peterson or Nording, or "It wasn't much" when me mum discovers I bought a Brown Sparrow from Nellson. Thank God the boxes aren't marked with a price tag. So how do you evade it, or do you have a PO Box so she doesn't know at at, since one pipe looks like another to her?

bigtex

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2015
TX
She know and supports me as well. I have a pretty good wife. She also understands that there are certain things that I have to be allowed to do in order for me not to have to find a new wife...

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Nope. Mine knows every dollar I spend, and even helps me keep a manifest of my collection and expenditures.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Damn right I do. If my wife asks me if a pipe is new I tell her I've had it for a while, even if that "while" is only 5 minutes. She knows I spend a lot of money at the B&M and doesn't care but no sense in her knowing that a pipe cost the equivalent of a Coach or Michael Kors purse.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Yep, I do this. My wife has no idea how much pipes cost. She has never asked me directly, so I haven't had to lie, but the only pipe she ever bought me was a $40 H.I.S. pipe for Christmas last year, so she probably figures that's what they cost!

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
When I was married, it never came up. But we were both making good money and it wasn't really an issue. I usually bought my pipes when I was on the road for business and stopped in the local B&M. Funny though, I always wondered what I'd tell her if she asked. I made a couple purchases I hoped she'd never notice -- especially cigars. I never wanted to admit that I'd just spent $70 or $80 on a box of stogies.

Funny thing is now that I'm not answerable to anyone for my purchases, I'm not in the position to make them. I spend my money on daily expenses and the kids, with only a little aside for tobacco. I feel blessed that I can still buy tobacco to enjoy.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
She knows how much the pipes are worth. Generally more than I spend on them. I tell her so she won't get ripped off when I die and she gets rid of them. That reminds me, I still need to have my ruby appraised. :puffy:

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
For the longest time I was spending $100 a month of Grizzly Moist Snuff, which I gave up doing in June, so as long as I spend less than $100 a month on tobacco and/or accessories my wife considers it a savings (of both my oral health and money).

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
Sometimes I lie to myself about what I spend. A few days ago I bought an Il Duca squat Acorn. I knew I had some extra money to spend on pipes or whatever. I had my eye on it for 5-6 months. I imagined a world where it was no longer on the site for me to look at it. An empty, sad feeling came over me... so I had to buy it... for my mental health of course.
Seriously...
As long as I don't use our mutual money (paycheck money) I can spend whatever I want - If I make money on the side through eBay or tutoring or whatever it's unquestioned. If I want to use "our" money it's cool as long as I put the $ back in at some point... She'll buy me pipe stuff for presents too.
She gets more annoyed with me if I am not eating right etc.

kiel

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2016
My wife is pretty up-to-date on pipes and how much they cost. She has always supported my interests which makes things easier. We plan on making additions to the family next year so we'll see how things change.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I don't have a need to hide anything. She buys her stuff and I, mine. We're both pretty cheap so spending has never been a problem. The most expensive pipe I've ever bought was only $130. Most are estates in the $20 to $30 range, some cheaper.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I don't parade my pipes in front of my wife. She doesn't parade her amazon.com purchases in front of me. Our bills are paid and we are happy.
I DO need to make a list of all my pipes and a general idea of what they are worth. I don't have a pittance to some of you guys, but I have to have some pipes that would bring decent $$. I would want that to go to her... or my son once he's 18. By the time he's 18 he will be able to take over the herd. He already has a 7 day set picked out of my pipes for his birthday in 7 years. LoL

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
If I use my PayPal account in which I have money already in the account from selling off some of my stuff on ebay; no she doesn't know the exact cost. Those purchases are few and far between though, so my wife usually knows what I spend on pipes and tobacco as she pays the bills. I try to make small purchases so it doesn't trigger the angry wife, but if there is something I really want I just tell her about it and I buy it at a time when I know there are plenty of funds on hand.

I am lucky in that money is not a huge issue between us. We have a tight budget and we have checks and balances, but if I want something within my budget, I don't get any grief for it. Other than price, she takes a considerable interest in my pipes, and we enjoy talking about the art and function of them.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
No issues, luckily. A "don't ask, don't tell" atmosphere, though I am likely to brag if I've made a fine purchase, like, "Hey, lookie here!! Got this pipe for $40.00 and new it costs $300!!"—which is true for a few estates I picked up at the WCPS in Las Vegas.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm thrifty so I brag up a good bargain pipe, but my wife tends to spend more on my gift pipes than I do when I buy pipes for myself. This seems to work out okay.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
My wife helps me choose pipes, so she is fully aware of what they cost. Rarely, she tells me it is a bad time to spend that much money. More often, I tell her I shouldn't spend that much and she justifies the price and makes me get it so I don't regret it later. I have exactly zero complaints.

Status
Not open for further replies.