PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
On March 31, 2010 President Obama signed the Prevent All Cigarette Trafficking Act (PACT Act). The ACT takes effect June 30, 2010 .The Act is “intended to help collect cigarette excise taxes, to stop tobacco sales to underage youth, and to help the States enforce their laws that target the online sales of certain tobacco products only." It applies specifically to cigarettes, roll your own cigarette tobacco, chewing tobacco and snuff.
The Act makes cigarettes and smokeless tobacco products "non-mailable" which means in general that they can no longer be shipped via the U.S. Postal Service.
The Act also strengthens the Jenkins Act, a federal law that requires anyone shipping cigarettes into a state to first register with the state and then report all shipments into that state on a monthly basis. The PACT Act broadens the Jenkins Act to include RYO cigarette tobacco and smokeless tobacco.
The PACT Act further amends the Jenkins Act to include delivery sales. It requires delivery sellers to comply with state and local laws pertaining to paying excise taxes, being licensed, etc. Delivery sellers of cigarettes and smokeless tobacco will be required to pay the appropriate state and local taxes prior to the sale or delivery and to comply with various reporting, shipping, labeling, and age verification requirements.

collindow

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
Bah.

I would say, "at least it's only cigarettes and smokeless crap." But I know it won't be long until we see cigars and pipe tobaccos in the act.

Damn politicians.

expatpipe

Can't Leave
Dec 31, 2010
Do you really think the fine people that are going to enforce this law will take the time, consideration and expertise to differentiate between cig tobacco and pipe tobacco?

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
Do you really think the fine people that are going to enforce this law will take the time, consideration and expertise to differentiate between cig tobacco and pipe tobacco?
The difference between cigarettes is like night and day, one would have to be completely daft not to notice. Expertise? Psh.

expatpipe

Can't Leave
Dec 31, 2010
marma, I whole heartedly agree, but thats not my point. Just how effeciently does the gov run anything? ie. airport security..
I'm talking rolling tobacco and pipe tobacco. Do you really think that A LOT of pipe tobacco orders wont wind up in gov limbo during shipping?

pappy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2011
There is going to be very little, if any, effort put into determining what is what. The anti-tobacco nazi's don't really care, if it is tobacco they want it gone. period.

expatpipe

Can't Leave
Dec 31, 2010
Pappy, "There is going to be very little, if any, effort put into determining what is what. The anti-tobacco nazi's don't really care, if it is tobacco they want it gone. period."
Bingo,
Take all the different words, legal mumbo jumbo and just replace it with TOBACCO. That is what this regulation will come to be.

sargesmoke

Lurker
Mar 9, 2011
@Colorduke ~ USPS is what jumped out at me too.
Looks like "What can brown do for you" (UPS) is deliver tobacco products! :puffy:

chero

Can't Leave
Dec 25, 2010
will it all come down to this
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8650520.stm

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
Wasn't this country built on tobacco as a product? Wasn't tobacco farming one of the main enticers England used to get colonists to move here? What the hell happened?

gecko13

Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
http://www.tobaccofreekids.org/research/factsheets/pdf/0361.pdf
This laws was supposedly enacted last year, and so far I don't know what has changed. The law also states it would allow "lawful" internet sales through alternate forms of shipping and delivery. Aka UPS, FedEX.
At any rate, I still plan to increase my stockpile rate from 5 lbs per month to Stockpile rate = (5x + 5)lbs / month.

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
Dang I don't even have 5 lbs total haha. I want to increase my cellar but my gf would kill me :).

pappy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2011
wallbright:
Wasn't this country built on tobacco as a product? Wasn't tobacco farming one of the main enticers England used to get colonists to move here? What the hell happened?
Oh, we will still grow it and export it... we just won't be able to buy it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.