PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pflan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2013
So, I thought I would share an encounter I had with a fellow pipe smoker that I thought was pretty cool..
I work for an IT company. We do computer repairs, networking, etc. We generally go into the field with appointments to go to people's residences or businesses. So, this particular appointment was at a retirement community that are set up like apartments. So, I already expected this customer to be some old, barely alive man that just sits there and watches soap operas and the Price Is Right all day. So, I walk into the building and tell the front desk attendant what I am there for and she sees me to the man's room. She told me to go down to the door and just knock on it. So I did. First thing that I noticed: a "No Smoking" sign on the door, which turned out to be quite ironic. I knock on the door and faintly hear a voice telling me to come in. So I entered the apartment and immediately get smacked in the face with a wonderful smell that I have come to be familiar with and love... pipe tobacco! So, as I walk in and introduce myself to this feebly old man, I'm looking around to see if I see any pipes, and of course, there are four beauties sitting next to him on the side table along with an 8 oz. tin of some "original, natural" tobacco (cannot remember the brand, but nothing I have ever heard of). So, I began to work on his laptop (also old) and he struck a very short conversation. He was very Clint Eastwood-esque in how he talked and how he kept a stern, yet smirky look on his face. Next thing I know, he picks up one of his already packed pipes (the green one in the picture), grabs a match, and goes to town. The room filled with that perfect aroma of pipe tobacco. So he enjoyed his smoke, I enjoyed his smoke, and all at the same time, I repaired his laptop. For the record, as much as I wanted to, I did not tell him that I was a fellow pipe smoker nor did I have any conversation about it with him. I feared that I would cross some line and kind of lose my sense of professionalism. I do regret not talking about it with him though, as it most likely would have been a harmless conversation.
After he smoked his pipe, his caretaker told him it was lunch time, so he went down to lunch while I finished up his computer. I snapped this picture while he was gone:
Oldmanspipes_zpse07b3f38.jpg

Sorry for the long post, but I just found it to be a very cool experience. One that I'll probably remember as I smoke my pipes in the future.. Thanks for reading fellas!

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Thanks for sharing this! But, yes, I think it would have been fine to mention your own interest in pipe smoking. You might have seen that "stern, smirky look" turn into something else altogether. Might have even offered you a bowlful of what he was puffing. :)
Bob

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Some of us pipe smokers get all giddy and a little creepy when we see other pipe smokers huh?
HAHA. Thanks for sharing the story. The only other pipe smoker I've seen in person was a guy driving his truck down the road with his pipe clenched.
Next time you're requested to fix his laptop... bring your pipe.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
I'm in sales and when I meet somebody for the first time I always do a quick scan of their office paying special attention to the "I love me" wall. That's where you see the awards they've received, diplomas, membership plaques from a wide range of organizations, etc. and then I do my level best to establish a common ground. Man, it's all about connecting with people on some level and then building a relationship from that point.
I honestly don't feel you would've crossed that "professional" line by mentioning that you, too, were a piper. In fact, that gentleman more than likely would've enjoyed a sidebar conversation about this hobby of ours. And who knows? You could've made a brand new friend with that exchange.
My mother in law lives in a similar facility and I always try to visit with her fellow residents when I visit. A new face and a kind word is always welcome at retirement homes.
Fnord

pflan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2013
Wow! I'm glad you guys enjoyed the story! Always happy to bring a smile..
Yeeeah, like I said, I really regret not attempting to start a conversation about it, but if we get another call from him, I may even make sure I take some samples of some tobaccos to gift him.
But you live and you learn.. trust me, I've still got tons to learn. I absolutely could not resist snapping a picture, though! My first thought was to share this story and picture on the forum. More stories to come I hope..

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
That was a great story, and I also feel that I probably couldn't help but mention my love of pipes as well. I think it is rare to meet a fellow smoker, whether it be pipe or cigar, who wouldn't love to talk, share stories etc with a fellow 'brother of the briar'
allan

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Pflan:
Please don't wait for another break/fix situation. Instead, why don't you make his day and baggie up a couple of your favorite smokes and drop by this Saturday or Sunday afternoon? I can damn near promise you that you'll make a friend for life. And, given where he lives and his age, the clock is definitely ticking, pard.
Fnord

Status
Not open for further replies.