PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
Just discovered a bit of information that may be found useful.
Before refilling your lighter, press down on the refill point with a paper clip or ball point pen, and release all air from the chamber.
Chill your lighter in the freezer for 30 minutes. The reasoning here is that the butane escapes from the refill can at a very cold temperature, and the refill works better when the lighter is closer to that low temperature.
Fill the lighter with the butane refill can pointed downward.
Allow enough time for the lighter to return to room temperature (holding it in your hand for several minutes works well) before attempting to light it.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
I purge the air from my lighter every time I fill it. It's easy to do and it only takes a couple of seconds. Without that my lighter would only fill half way. I don't find a need to chill it.
Don't trust your Ronson butane unless the can says "Triple Refined", or something like that. It isn't worth the risk of clogging the works up.
Here are the older threads if you are interested:
Purging
3x Refined

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
May I make a suggestion after working. 31.5 years in an ethylene plant, like Roth said use triple refined butane, by condensing it 3 times they have driven out the heavies that will eventually plug your lighter, Zanthal 30 minutes in freezer Isn"t necessary, fridge will do for 5 minutes, but you can put it in freezer for 5 minutes, what you are doing is lowering the vapor pressure or pressure in lighter, run hot water, then put butane can in sink with hot water, water level only needs to be about a third of the can, you are raising the vapor pressure of the butane can,wait 5 mins take lighter which has been thumbed down to lowest flame setting and holding lighter down can up push and count to 10, wait a couple of mins and do it again, you will have a full lighter, higher pressure (can) goes into lower pressure (lighter). It is a myth that you have air in your lighter it is a closed system, the only time you would have air is first refill, but 2or three refills will take care of that, that being said pressing fill valve down with pen will release any gas within, but I assure you after several refills you have no air in system. The old cajun

pipesicle

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2012
S.E.Iowa
I use my czech tool to release the pressure in my lighter. Works great and I always have one sitting around. :mrgreen:

Good advice Old Cajun. I am going to try it. :worship:

spyder71

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2011
I have a question... Do you need to pres the can on the valve several times or just press and hold til it is full?

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Maker sure can spigot is on right I do this by turning can several times on valve to make sure it is centered on lighter valve press down firmly and count to 10, lift up take a drink of coffee or whatever and do it again, 2 times is plenty but you can do it a third time. The old cajun

spyder71

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2011
Thank You! This is the best fill I have ever had. The flame is now very consistent instead of jumpy like before. I like this lighter again :puffpipe:

pipesicle

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2012
S.E.Iowa
Brad...that is the first time I have gotten a decent fill on my lighter. It works now like it did when I first got it. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.