PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I am off to the workshop tonight to make a little tobacco press, and I was trying to remember all the bits of advice I had picked up here over the last few years concerning pressing tobacco, anyway I thought I would list a few relevant threads here for my own reference, and anyone else who is interested.

caulking gun press

further impressions

impressive

hot off the press
Will put up some photos and results at a later date.
Isaac

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That is a step into an advanced level, actual blending. I think of what I do -- no heat, no pressure, no program of aging -- as mixing. When you get beyond that, you are actually doing the work of the blender. Keep us posted on how it goes. The old cliche, the devil is in the details, applies, I think. It's the fine points that make a great blend or just doesn't quite do it.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Just make sure your former is built sufficiently well so as it doesn't burst when great pressure is applied. That said, if you are using a caulking gun the pressure you are able to apply won't be huge. I use a very well built rock splitter (with the cutting chisels removed) and that exerts enormous pressure.
I hope we get to see some pics Isaac :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Well I finally got around to building a press, it ended up far simpler and utilitarian than I had schemed, but at least I actually got round to making it.

dsc_02951-401x600.jpg

I put together some favourites and let them sit for three days, turning the handle a little more each night. When I popped it out of the former the two little oak end pieces were firmly attached to the cake, I will use parchment paper next time, although it came off easily enough with a knife slid in between. The wood is all lovely and oiled now too.

dsc_0296-600x401.jpg

Here is the cake with a pipe for size reference, reviews on the smoke after it happens!

dsc_0297-600x401.jpg

cosmicbobo

Part of the Furniture Now
May 11, 2017
Letting mine sit for another few days, making it 2 weeks. I am using 2 hockey pucks, a C Clamp, Wax Paper, and a baccy tin

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Sounds good! I am not sure about the timing, so looking forward to future pressings for comparison...

Let us know what yours turned out like too cosmicbobo

cosmicbobo

Part of the Furniture Now
May 11, 2017
My pics came out blurry, looking like a Tobacco Burger. Also, a little too moist. I made a mistake in layering, so it split the long way.
However, I wanted to make a sort of Christmas Blend and darned if this doesn't smell like a nice spiced cake. Just hope it dries out by Christmas time.
Actually put allspice, raisins, and Deer Tongue in it.
The method (Hockey Pucks) is sound. It flattened that sucker out quite well.
Drawing board awaits.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
"Tobacco Burger" is an idea that needs exploration.
Looks like a great blending experiment. Whatever works...

baccyfart

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2015
harbor freight sells a 3-ton hydraulic press. i built a box out of white oak similar to yours and put up some pics here on the forum a couple summers ago. excellent results. i prefer to press in my hot shed. just leave it in there a few weeks. as far as blending- - a basic one that i like really well (i mean a lot!) is 40% virginia red, 40% virginia bright, and 20% of louisiana perique. you could substitute latakia for the perique or go 10% perique and 10% latakia. experiment in small batches until you find something agreeable and delicious. i'll see if i can rustle up the link on the post from a couple years ago and either edit this post or post it for you below. good luck!

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I like your press Baccy. I use a rock splitter (with the chisels removed) for my press. The last one I made was a Virginia, Burley and Perique mix which I pressed for a fortnight.
I wish I had left it longer and I also regret breaking up the plug after it came out (really sticky...no additional liquid used) but the results were good.
Next time I will use a little less Perique and leave it in the press for at least a month.
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.