PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mojoe

Might Stick Around
Jan 6, 2015
Kansas City
I've been watching some tube videos about pressing tobaccos at home. I've seen various wooden and metal "boxes" being pressed by log splitters, bearing presses and C-clamps. The Dagner's appear to have the best contraption I've come across, basically a SS tube with a set bottom and a cap that compresses under a clamp.
As is typical when I watch these types of things, "I had an idea".....so, I'm running this by everyone for their thoughts.
I think I'll run to the hardware store and purchase a short length of PVC(12"). I'll then chuck a wood blank into the lathe and turn a disk with a shoulder to use at the bottom, and a disk that fits inside for the top. I also plan to turn a small recess at the center (outside) of each of these so the c-clamp will stay centered during tightening, in theory applying equal pressure.....thoughts?????
Joe

mojoe

Might Stick Around
Jan 6, 2015
Kansas City
Looks like Acme used a similar process (though with a shop press) and had pretty good results......looks like I'll have to add this to my project list :D

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
I am not an expert on this but I have always heard that PVC contained an amount of lead. Something to investigate. I would be wary of lead leaching into your tobacco.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
You need to use CPVC. PVC is not approved to human use for whatever that is worth. Personally, I like to use an oak box. The box just sets on a piece of oak board and I press the tobacco down. Once done, I just lift the box off the bottom and push out the plug. I also think the oak contributes, in a very minor way to the overall flavor.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I'm with jitterbugdude. Avoid plastics. Play around with different types of wood. Charred hickory might be nice, or charred red elm.

Status
Not open for further replies.