PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

coffinmaker

Can't Leave
Jan 20, 2016
A year ago or so there were posts about homemade presses for doing tobacco. Is anyone still doing this? I have C-clamped a 3/4 pound of Rest of the Best from P&C. The tobacco was already a year old, put the tobacco in a PVC pipe and secured the ends with wax paper covered wood plugs. Tighten that clamp as tight as I could get it using a cheater bar. I'll let it set for a couple weeks. I had done this with a blend that was terrible, after it set clamped for a week, it was a very different smoke.

Pictures and a review!!
I have a hydraulic press, but I use it. It is in my studio where acids, grease, and other chemicals are constantly getting on my tools. So, my curiosity in making a plug is offset with the amount of work it would take to move it, clean it, and then go without my press for an amount of time. I'll just live vicariously through you guys.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
I"m far from an expert, but I imagine anything clamped up really tight in contact with a PVC pipe would taste different after a week.
I think maybe you should find some good stainless steel pipe

coffinmaker

Can't Leave
Jan 20, 2016
With that first tobacco I pressed last year, putting that "stuff" in any type of container made it better than it was. I have pressed about five batches in PVC and it turned out without any weird taste. The tobacco was much better. Now, I have NOT pressed any good tinned tobacco or anything that is already a good blend. Just trash stuff that is a step above mulch. Some tinned tobacco was bad enough I could not smoke it. In my wood shop, a little saw dust adds body!

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
I've had some under pressure for about a week. I used a tin can opened on one end and waxed paper under the lid on the open end. A large washer on the bottom and a block of wood on the lid using a large C clamp for the pressure.

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
I will open my stainless steel tube with a homemade Va/Per mixtures that was for four weeks under pressure of 6 tons this weekend. Unfortunately my hydraulics have a leak so it might not have been 6 tons all the time....

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I use my rock trimmer (albeit converted to tobacco pressing) with great success. Huge pressures can be attained quite simply. If you hunt it out you will see several pictures of my process in the forum archives.
Regards,
Jay.

Jan 8, 2013
I've actually had plans to try this for some time, and will be soon most likely. I've seen plenty of reviews online and Youtube of people using PVC and I don't think it's been an issue for any of them. I was planning on using a couple hockey pucks and PVC with a C-clamp.

cranseiron

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
Hmmm... I've made a simple steam box out of PVC for bending wood. It would be easy enough to get a stainless pipe, drill small holes all around, press the tobacco in this and then steam it in a steam box. You'd need something other than PVC for your box though-- an ice chest would work, I bet.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
1960 and earlier American made stuff./// Real steel! Actual chrome. Massive engine blocks. The heavier the better. I'm guessing Caddy or Lincoln, but I am not a car fanatic.

jabo

Can't Leave
Jan 26, 2016
For good pressure use the biggest vehicle ya can find. Semis and trains work real well ! ;-)

coffinmaker

Can't Leave
Jan 20, 2016

Well, here it is, my hi-tech press, 3/4 pound after 12 days pressed. Nice dark with a sweet smell. Need to dry some before lighting.

coffinmaker

Can't Leave
Jan 20, 2016
I just tried a bowl of my pressed mix, dried it by the stove, what a sweet smoke! There is a flavor of top dressing, even though I did not add anything, that comes through as sweet and delicious. I need to press more!

Status
Not open for further replies.