PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

slrichman

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2017
Little Rock, AR
Is it a confirmed fact that pressed meerschaum will never, ever color? I have an inexpensive pressed meer pipe that smokes great and has a great bent-apple shape with a red lucite stemp. But having smoked it since April 2017, it has not turned at all. Is that the way it's gonna be?
Thanks for any assistance.
Sheldon

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Here's a test that may reveal something. Run hot tap water through the chamber. If there's color lurking beneath the surface, it will show a bit. As it dries, it'll return to its before-state.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Interesting post. As long as you know a pipe is pressed Meerschaum, and it not coloring is okay, and it smokes well, sounds all right to me. There's usually a significant price difference. I rarely see pressed Meerschaum mentioned, so I guess it is buyer beware? Are they often marketed as such?

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Yes, pressed meerschaum pipes will color; however, not very well. It takes a long time. Since the pipes are held together with resin and the natural abilities of the pipe are limited; they won't color well.
Now if the pipe is cultured meerschaum the pipe will color and will color like a block meerschaum pipe. One of my favorite meerschaum pipes is a cultured meerschaum and it's got some nice color to it. So people don't mind pressed meerschaum pipes, but I definitely recommend block meerschaum pipes.

slrichman

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2017
Little Rock, AR
I assume what I have a pressed. It was an embarrassingly low-cost (new) pipe I bought on eBay, under $10, shipping included. Yet it looks good and smokes well. I infer it is pressed because the underside has what looks like a seam -- it's not very obvious -- where the slightest bit of color has appeared. The rest is gleamingly white. Whatever it is, I enjoy smoking the bent apple. A little color, however, would be welcome.
I may try the hot tap-water test. Do I just fill the bowl and let it stand a bit?
Thanks for all the comments.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
I'm still smoking the pressed meer my father bought for himself in 1972. It has several tons of tobacco smoked through it and not a hint of color.... yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.