PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
While this isn't about pipes, I know many of us also smoke cigars. According to USA Today: President Obama has lifted the monetary ban on bringing Cuban cigars back into the U.S., which had been only $100.00. This doesn't mean you can order directly from Cuba, this means that you can bring back as much Tobacco (and Rum) from a trip to Cuba as you like. Just FYI

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Our government has GOT to be bi-polar. "Hey, let's crush tobacco sales with the FDA!" "Hey, let's let tobacco in from Cuba!" I seriously do not get it, but at least we're hearing something from the government that's not another ban of one sort or another.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
No, this is just the Psychotic Behaviour of a Left wing loon. Devour and devour until nothing is left, in this case back door regulation of cigars in another country. But You know Cuba is a worker's paradise, maybe if it's alright for Cuba it'll be alright for The US. All tobacco products will be banned but cigars. Which makes me think that if we can petition the left with Royal Yacht and Stalin's aphenity for it, there may be some hope. Oh No, don't forget the High Horse Moral Republican Brand, oh yea that's right, they go along with the left on everything these days. Populist. So there is still hope. I hate The word Hope, nothing but a Sandwhich Board Left Wing Slogan.
****This is an extreme example of worthless addition to the topic, this is to be cautioned against, and new thrill seekers should refrain from contributing such.

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
Keeping ON TOPIC...

Good news for Cuban cigar fans and just more diversity of cigar tobacco available. Personally I'm a huge fan of many of the stogies coming out of Nicaragua and Honduras. Of course I haven't had a Cuban for years, so may need to re-visit a few.

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
I've visited Mexico just a few times.

But I have been underwhelmed by the Cuban cigars I've smoked there.

The Central American cigars were just fine by me.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I am not a huge cigar guy, but I am really looking forward to trying some Cubans. I have often heard that Cubans are more cachet than quality, and would like to see for myself.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Hard to believe that Cuban cigars are of the quality pre-embargo. And "Cuban" cigars bought in Central America, on the other hand, may not be actual Cuban made, but some Cuban leaf imported and grown locally for decades. Not the same.

sthbkr77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2015
MD
I'm content with dark Nicaraguan goodness. No price gauging for "the latest and greatest".

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I have smoked genuine Cubans. I predict the market will quickly level out.
While they were fine cigars they weren't overwhelming

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Cuban cigars? Meh, I've had a few Cuban cigars, yes real ones and don't ask how I got them, but I never saw the greatness of them. I think it's just mostly the fact that you couldn't get them, and there weren't so many other cigars from other countries back in the 1960s like we have now. One of the Cubans I had I really liked, but when trying the same brand now made in Honduras, I see little difference.

Just my 2 cents....

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I really like the "soda" aftertaste of a real Cuban, but have grown more fond of Oliva's offerings.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Cuban cigars are more cachet than quality. Now the cachet is gone.
My dad smoked Cuban cigars, real Cubans, and he also smoked Dominicans and others. He told me more than once it's mental, not quality anymore. especially, back in the day, but no more.
Just like pipe Tobacco of yesteryear. Cachet

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Read the whole post, it was painted far and wide. Just some satire. Get your noses out of the air and take it for the joke it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.