Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Presbyterian Mixture

(22 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

james80

Login to Send PM

I cracked a tin of Presbyterian Mixture yesterday. Smoked 4 bowls so far and I have to say its the strangest tobacco I have smoked. I am torn between yes I like this and no I hate this. It seems like an enigma, sweet yet sour, smooth yet somewhat raw. Any thoughts?

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. sallow

sallow

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm in the yes camp.

Its got good strength. It has a top note of latakia and some really nice bass notes.

It has been a while since I smoked this and I have an old tin in the cellar. Maybe this will be the next english I open.

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I haven't smoked this in years. Just a touch of latakia, IIRC, and lots of orientals.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 5 years ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I like orientals and it is my understanding the latakia is a condiment, so it appears to be right up my alley.

A friend is sending me a tin of it, it should be here on Monday. I am looking forward to trying it. I may have smoked it before, but I can't remember. If I did, it's been many years.

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. captainsousie

captainsousie

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I guess this just wasn't for me. It was a bit too bitter and a bit too light on flavor depth. That's just my take but I won't be getting another tin anytime soon.

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

james80

Login to Send PM

2 bowls later I conclude it really tastes like stewed rhubarb. I am not saying that's a bad thing just not what I was expecting. I might jar it and comeback to it in a few months.

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This blend has been around nearly forever. Always highly rated. I happen to like it though it has been awhile since I've smoked it. Now I may have to get a couple of tins. Thanks for the memory jog.

Blowin' smoke since 1970.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  8. dottiewarden

dottiewarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Raised this zombie because it was the most recent of the bunch.

I'd heard it tasted a lot like London Mixture, a favorite of mine, and that the Lat was just a spice.

Throughout my first bowl I tasted the Lat as a major player. I love this stuff!

I couldn't care less about the older versions; I like what I can buy, and this stuff makes the grade.

Dot
    Posted 2 years ago #
  9. philobeddoe

Philo Beddoe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Funny, I taste no Latakia whatsoever in Presbyterian mixture, it's all Orientals, all the time, with a Virginia backbone to my taste buds. Go figure.

"So it goes." - K.V.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  10. dottiewarden

dottiewarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@philobeddoe

I am extremely sensitive and that may explain it. Go figure!

Posted 2 years ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Since I'm Jewish would it be okay for me to smoke the Presbyterian Mixture....lol. Can someone with experience with this blend explain the complexity, thanks.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love the woodsy cedary notes. It has a touch of Latakia, but just the perfect amount for me. I'm not a Latakia fan, but it goes really well with the orientals.

Michael
    Posted 2 years ago #
  13. dottiewarden

dottiewarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Mellow blend of US-Virginia tobaccos and high-quality Macedonian grades-exclusive, aristocratic pipe mixture."

Notes: This fine tobacco originally had no name. It was blended before the first World War especially for the Very Rev. Dr. John White, sometime minister of the Barony Kirk in Glasgow and Moderator of the General Assembly in Scotland in 1929. He introduced it to Stanley Baldwin, later Earl Baldwin, Prime Minister in 1923, 1924 and 1935. He liked it so much that regular supplies were sent down to him and it was he who suggested that it be called "Presbyterian Mixture". As there continues to be controversy over the question of whether Presbyterian Mixture contains Latakia, the following quote from page six of the blender's 2008 catalogue should leave the matter settled: "Extraordinarily soft blend of finest US Virginia grades and a number of selected Latakia leaf tips. Ideal mixture also for beginners with English tobaccos." Originally blended for mass market by William P. Solomon, whose recipe it still follows.

Description info from TR

Posted 2 years ago #
  14. dottiewarden

dottiewarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Since I'm Jewish would it be okay for me to smoke the Presbyterian Mixture....lol.

Do yo have to be from the Balkan Mountains or one of the countries in South-East Europe, south of the Danube and Sava Rivers to smoke a Balkan?

Posted 2 years ago #
  15. huntertrw

huntertrw

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Can someone with experience with this blend explain the complexity, thanks."

Here's my attempt as posted on tobaccoreviews.com:

"To paraphrase "The Most Interesting Man in the World" who appears occasionally in television commercials for a certain brand of beer, "I don't often smoke English blends, but when I do I prefer Presbyterian Mixture!" To me, it epitomizes the phrase "classic English pipe-tobacco."

"The aroma in the tin is delicious: wet leathery, smokey, late fall-woods musty sweet, and cow-barn-like ripe. It's one that, if it could be transubstantiated, I would happily chew on for hours in the same manner that my dog worries her favorite marrow bone.

"Presbyterian Mixture's appearance is pleasing, too. Remove the cardboard cover beneath the lid, peel back the clear plastic inner wrap, and you will find substantial strands together with ponderous pieces of light-to-dark brown Virginia leaf, intermixed with Latakia tips that are almost black. It's typically moist, not overly so, but does benefit from some drying prior to use. This is a hefty-looking amalgam that promises solid smoking pleasure.

"It does not disappoint. Using the Frank method to fill the bowl of a favorite Savinelli Oscar, it provides me with a good hour of English ecstasy. I find that this tobacco is at its best when smoked SLOWLY, but then aren't they all? I don't mean that you should sip it. Rather, take a deep draught every minute or two and let it drizzle out of your mouth. Take your time as you contemplate its manifold charms and it will reward you. Become distracted (or simply give in to gluttony) and puff too fast, and it will both bite and kick. Nicotine is here in abundance, but will behave if you treat this mixture with gentleness and respect.

"Without drying I typically need only two pipe-cleaners per bowl; with drying only one. This tobacco reduces to a fine grey-white ash with little dottle. The room note is comforting in the same manor (pun intended) as that of an old, familiar, and favorite hunting lodge, cabin, or library.

"This is a fine English tobacco mixture, and I give it my highest benediction. Amen."

Love Me, Love My Pipe
    Posted 2 years ago #
  16. dottiewarden

dottiewarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the post Hunter.

Sounds like I've got some good smoking ahead of me!

Posted 2 years ago #
  17. oldreddog

oldreddog

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hunter, a pleasure to read your elegant notes again.

Killing me won't bring back your apples.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  18. shawnofthedead

Shawn

Login to Send PM

Solid blend. I found it similar in flavour to Peterson Old Dublin, and I personally prefer the latter, though both of them are very tasty.

Life would go on as it had always gone on - that is, badly.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  19. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Thanks Dot and Cosmic, appreciate your feedback.

KEP ON PUFFING!!!

Posted 2 years ago #
  20. pagan

pagan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When I find myself "on the fence" I get of on the no side, Im not gona buy and stock a blend I wont enjoy

Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes
    Posted 2 years ago #
  21. mortonbriar

mortonbriar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love it, the lat is subtle but still there throughout. I am out of the stuff right now, but when I have had a tin open it has stayed in regular rotation.

Isaac

I don't really care if the cup is half full or half empty, I just want something to sip on.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  22. arno665

arno665

Login to Send PM

Love the blend, a real good one for someone who wants to venture into the world of latakia because there is little of the dark leaf in it. Some time ago I wrote a blogpost about it: Palatable Presbyterian

Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   gatorlope, jpmcwjr, newportpipe, litup, k9shag, ravkesef, mikestanley, lawdawg, laniromee, nunnster, ben88, pianopuffer