PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newportpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2011
Newport Beach, CA
So, I came across three sealed tins of Presby in my cellar. I picked them up in 2006 (and one later). Two have the silkscreened blue lids with "Manufactured in West Germany for William P. Solomon, London" on the lid. To my knowledge, German unification occurred in 1990. They can't be that old. The math is fuzzy to me. Any insight is appreciated.

morgansteele

Can't Leave
Mar 23, 2018
I have 2 "painted" tins with a hand written date of 2003 on the back. The West Germany reference is also present on the lid. (Norman was the distributor.) I infer that there was a reason the manufacterer put W. Germany on the tin, but I don't believe that means the tin dates back to 1990. I'm placing my tin's origin to the early-2000s.
1. Oh, and nice 1st post. You post less often than I do. :D

vates

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2019
I don't want to start a new thread, so here it goes: how to date a new Presbyterian Mixture tin?
Just got it from SMC and have no idea.
There's even no info about the actual manufacturer ?
Thanks!

vates

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2019
I’m not sure my particular tin is already Mac Baren. No information re. the manufacturer.
Just stated that it is imported by Laudisi.
And the coding is not typical for Planta (as found on the web): SC-TI 300002

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
The William Solomon marking was still in play in 2006 for sure, I remember buying presby fresh and that's exactly what mine said back then - you'll find the paper wrapper rather than the plastic bag on those too.

vates

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2019
The William Solomon marking was still in play in 2006 for sure, I remember buying presby fresh and that's exactly what mine said back then - you'll find the paper wrapper rather than the plastic bag on those too.

The William Solomon question was addressed 6 months ago. My question was regarding the new tins.

Oh, well. Probably had to start a new thread altogether. Mea culpa :)

Oct 7, 2016
The William Solomon question was addressed 6 months ago. My question was regarding the new tins.

Oh, well. Probably had to start a new thread altogether. Mea culpa :)
AFAIK, the tins that are in the retail channel in the US are the same as they were when Laudisi started distributing it in the US about 2 years ago. If MacBarens decides to continue making the blend, I would expect at a minimum the stickering to change to something like that used on Savinelli D’Oblones d’Oro, for example, which has month and year dating in plain English. There may or may not be other changes to tin art. To the best of my knowledge, no announcement has been made as to MacBarens plans for this blend.

Reactions: vates

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
My question was regarding the new tins.
The tins I purchased in 01/2019 look like this.

Is this the same as your tins?
I don't know if there is a way to know the date. I use a Sharpie and mark the month and year when I purchased them.

Reactions: vates

vates

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2019
The tins I purchased in 01/2019 look like this.

View attachment 8423

Is this the same as your tins?
I don't know if there is a way to know the date. I use a Sharpie and mark the month and year when I purchased them.

Yep, exactly the same. And the coding in the far right (SC-TI 300002) is the same. Therefore I assume it's not a mfg date :) Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.