Presbyterian and PS Amsterdam, Previews?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

2 Fresh Kent Rasmussen Pipes
18 Fresh Rossi Pipes
New Cigars
18 Fresh Erik Stokkebye 4th Generation Pipes
60 Fresh Neerup Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've been pondering a tin of Presbyterian for years. I know it has changed over the years, but I had to see what it is like, if only in its current version. To round out the mini-TAD order, I bought two ounces of PS Amsterdam, dark-fired and Virginia. Any experience with either of these? I should take a five-year vacation on TAD, since I smoke so gradually and have just had a hiatus for some kind of flu bug, but an order in the mail always cheers me up. Economy shipping is good because it extends the expectation.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
I've never tried those two before. But, I imagine that Amsterdam is another good PS tobacco. I have incorporated all of the PS flakes into my regular pipe routine.
It is exciting to have something new on the way! Enjoy!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
jiminks did his usual excellent and precise review of PS Amsterdam on tobaccoreviews, three stars out of four. He gives a really good rundown on burning characteristics and how to make friends with this cut and blend. Likewise, three stars for Presbyterian, and a nice sorting out of its taste nuances. 'Believe I'll like these.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
Presbyterian is a great, underrated blend.
I think it falls through the cracks because there are a lot of people who don't care for Latakia, and then it seems those who do like latakia want it in large quantities. I guess I'm somewhere in the middle, and for me Presbyterian is just about perfect. And that's coming from a devout Episcopalian!

thomasmartin

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2015
Unesco world heritage
Presbyterian is one of my favourite light blends. It is a straight forward english blend, very balanced. One of my go to blends especially since EMP is no longer produced. In fact, Presbyterian may be my EMP replacement.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Presbyterian is one of my top ten favorite blends. I dedicated my "A La Pipe du Nord" Paris souvenir pipe to it.
firstsmoke1-600x450.jpg

dukdalf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2011
I fully agree with Hap and thomasmartin and scloyd. Presbyterian always provides a very enjoyable smoke.

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
I'm a Catholic; am I allowed to smoke Presbyterian, or should I only smoke Three Nuns? :rofl:
Actually, I do have a tin I bought a few months ago; just haven't got around to trying it yet :puffpipe:

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
Just smoked some 1 year old Presbyterian yesterday. It really did not taste any different after just one year of age. It is mild and unassuming. My best comparison would be to Peterson Old Dublin sans the cavendish. It is fine occasionally or could be an everyday smoke for someone who likes Orientals with very little Latakia.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
I enjoy Presbyterian when I want a Lat. break, as I cannot discern any Latakia in it, just Virginia and lots of tasty Orientals, good stuff.
Yes, the Latakia is very faint. Presbyterian was actually how I came to realize what I loved about English blends was Orientals, and not the Latakia.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I've had and enjoyed PS Amsterdam. I think it's similar to D&R Ryback (regular, not the gold), if you've had that.
Dark Fired with some Virginias. Not a sweet smoke, which I appreciate. Just enough VA sweetness to un-edge the DF.
Good any time smoke, in my opinion.
I've not yet had Presbyterian.
jay-roger.jpg

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Presbyterian and SG Skiff are my only choices when I'm in the mood for English blends,or should I better name these as orient style, either way I do like these thanks to the very moderate latakia addition in these aforementioned blends

cohibajoe

Mar 2, 2018
Branchburg, NJ
I purchased 2 dozen Presbyterian Tins from last years release. Was OK for me...as I prefer Father Dempsey. I also opened

Dunhill My Mixture BB1938 and Ye Olde Signe...I like BB better.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Presbyterian is great, a nice, soft blend. I like it fresh, but prefer it with age, when what little latakia in it has been reduced to a hint of leather, and the Orientals and Virginias have further melded and opened up.

sittingbear

Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
I love Presbyterian. It's probably one of my top three favorite English blends. I'm not a huge Latakia guy, and Presby has just the right amount. It's smooth, cool, and creamy.
I'm a Catholic; am I allowed to smoke Presbyterian, or should I only smoke Three Nuns?
If you smoke Presbyterian, you have to confess to one of C&D's Three Friars! :wink:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My wife grew up in a tiny town in northeastern Missouri, and different family members went to different churches. Her dad selected the Presbyterian church because, among the options, it was considered more tolerant, more fun, like not looking too closely at who went to the beer bar at the VFW, or if you enjoyed a cigar around town. The Baptists were not as forgiving.

Status
Not open for further replies.