PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

J. Mayo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2012
Texas
Guys (and gals), I just don't get it. I love Orlik Golden Sliced, simply rub out or fold and stuff and I'm on my way. But I have a stack of tins of SG FVF from 2012 that I still cannot figure out for the life of me. I placed a large order when I found it in stock due to all the hype I'd read, but it has alluded me for 7 years now. I've dried it, cube cut it, rubbed it out, folded and stuffed, yet nothing works for me. It has been nothing but a frustrating smoke that I never enjoy. I struggle to keep the pipe lit and it turns into more of a project than I ever want a pipe to be. So lay it on me, WHAT'S THE SECRET? I'm assuming my mistake has to be somewhere in the prep? I'm ready to crack a fresh tin to give it one more shot but I need some advice on how to make it the most enjoyable. I know Gawith flakes come soaking wet so it will need some drying time. Beyond that, what are your best methods? Tricks of the trade? One more failed tin and I'm afraid someone is going to get a sweet deal on some aged FVF on the sale/trade forum (I know you guys would hate that).

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Super super dry. I'm smoking a flake(of bulk) I've left out for days and it's awesome. Now sometimes blends elude us. For me it's Nightcap, Aged Burley Flake, and Frog Mortons Cellar. I say smoke what you like and save the tins. Lightning may strike, and you'll be stoked you held on to them. The bulk version is way more forgiving than the tinned YMMV.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The first time I tried FVF I hated it. To me it tasted like a stable after the horse had shit in it. But a member here suggested that I let it dry for 5 hours before packing it and lighting up. Made all the difference in the world. Lovely flavors appeared. Smoke it very dry and very slowly. Light sips, just curls of smoke, And gently blow it out through your schnoz.

tozert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2017
Cornwall
I rub it out first and then let it dry...almost bone dry. It's a good smoke but I don't reach for it often. Some blends are popular and get a lot of hype, but if it doesn't work for your chemistry, that's OK, there are plenty of other good blends out there!

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
As has been said above, this blend needs more drying time than most others, more so if it's from a bulk box.
I rub out a whole load of flakes (250g) in one go then jar it up for decanting from. When I decant I take enough to fill a 50g tin and spread it out on a copper tray and leave it be for some while, sometimes overnight. When I am satisfied that it's dry enough I stick it into a tin for daily use but the trick is to really dry it. Not biscuit dry but not far off.
I smoke at least one bowl of FVF a day and really love it, right from the first light to the bottom of the bowl, oodles of creamy pure Virginia goodness :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
First time I ever bought it was as bulk from a Tobacconist. Got to my car and tried stuffing a bowl. Needless to say it didn't work out well.

Within that week I let a flake dry out over night until it was dang near crispy.

That's when I had my A-HA moment.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I keep telling myself I need to do a "how to" post for FVF. I smoke it every day and prep a box at a time. You gotta dry it folks. Cube cut and dry. Best way hands down. You will be greatly rewarded for your patience.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Tim, if done by my method much time and labour is saved. Yes, it's a pain in the bum to rub out 250g of sopping wet FVF in one go but once done and jarred up you have a huge smile on your face knowing that you just need to grab a few pinches of the stuff to air out well afore smoking, and what a grand smoke you will have once aired correctly.
And of course that 250g you just prepared is going to last quite some while even if smoked daily.
Regards,
Jay.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Jay, cutting 250 grams takes less than two minutes. I then place it in a tray I have and set an alarm for two days. I'll occasionally stir it to keep it drying even. It absolutely lasts fo a bit, but it's in a mason jar so it's just a grab and load.
I've tried at least eight different methods and this is perfection for my style of smoking.

Dec 28, 2015
I don't doubt that cube cutting is a great method because a lot of people seem to prefer it but I have never had a single good experience with cube cutting. Especially cube cutting and drying. It always ends up with the texture of kitty litter or oil dry. I prefer drying a single flake until just pliable and then rubbing out and loading. And this is also my favorite tobacco although I dont smoke it everyday as some others have said. If all else fails stick a flake in the microwave for 10 seconds and then rub out and your good to go.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I have cube cut FVF in the past but prefer to rub it out. When I rub it out I don't go for a 'fine finish', I prefer to keep it chunky which is not too different to cube cutting.
As for the plug version I just shave off a few slices ~2mm thick and lightly rub those out afore allowing some drying time.
Regards,
Jay.

Dec 28, 2015
Yes chunky rub out. I think the stringy texture burns much better than square cube cuts. But maybe others cube cut differently than me. Sometimes I break it apart with my fingers in sort of a cube "tear" method.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Personal take:
Rub it out fully and mix it with some strong Burley.
Glorious. A really lovely blend.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I tried drying the flakes and then rubbing them out, but I much prefer rubbing them out first, then drying them. The latter procedure provides ribbons that hang together nicely and pack well.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I only have Solani's Aged Burley Flake at hand, would that qualify as a 'strong' Burley?
Certainly. The strength really is not important to the flavor, and FVF is decently represented in the Nicotine camp itself, so this should be quite a pleasant mix!
One reason I use the strong (American Burleys in a 3:1 Dark:White mix) Burley is that it is devoid of top flavoring and relatively dry, so it takes on both of those from whatever you mix it with, ending the need for drying.
For example, one of my favorites of all time is to mix Brown Twist Sliced with the above Burley combination and to rub out the slices while mixed with the Burley, then let it age a day. The excess moisture goes into the Burley, and the two synthesize into a flavorful mixture.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I wish I could only think that far ahead in my pipe smoking to leave some out to dry. I usually decide when I'm about to have a bowl. I can do better and will.

Status
Not open for further replies.