PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
There are many folks who find FVF to be overly wet and a very difficult tobacco to prepare for smoking.
However, if you do it right, in my view there is no straight VA flake that is any better than FVF. The flavours I get from smoking this blend are absolutely stellar.
So what is my method?
First, I use a pair of high strength scissors and I cube cut the entire tin. I like my cube cuts t be less than 1/4 each, but no more. The high strength indistrial sheers allow me to cube cut up to three stacked flakes at a time, very quickly and efficiently.
Second, I spread the cubed tobacco out on two or three paper coffee filters. You can use a plate if you find that easier, but I do like how the filters absorb the moisture that comes out of the tobacco during the next step.
Third, I put the filter, with the tobacco on it, into the microwave and microwave it on high for 10 seconds. When it comes out of the microwave, it will be very warm and the filter will actually feel wet, as will the tobacco.
Fourth, I leave the tobacco, sitting on the filters, out on a table for 30-60 minutes. The moisture released from the tobacco during the microwaving process will dissipate. I then feel the tobacco, and if it still feels very moist, I give the tobacco another 5 to 7 seconds in the microwave, and then, again, leave it sit out for a half hour or so to let the moisture dissipate.
The next part is key. I jar the tobacco out and leave it for a few days. This is important. As a result of the microwaving, it should come as no surprise that the edge of the cube cut flakes will have much less moisture than the inside of the flake. By jarring the tobacco for a few days (or even longer) the remaining moisture in the flake will equalize throughout the flake -- that is, the excess internal moisture will migrate to the edges until the moisture level is largely consistent through the flake structure.
I am sure you could achieve the same effect through a natural drying process, but I find this to be much faster, with less attention required.
Once I jar it up then it is just load and go from then on. No further finicky prep time required, and I find the moisture level to be perfect.

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
I have been cube cutting all of my flakes but find FVF to be one of those fickle blends that tastes different from bowl to bowl. One of my favorites, it's never unpleasant, just an inconsistent (somewhat) different flavor almost every time. The wow factor is there, it's just tough to coax it out at times.
Thanks, I'm going to have to try this.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Wow, that was actually helpful and free of sardonic witticisms.
This is unprecedented.
Did Peck get hacked?
Edit: the coffee filters are a stroke of brilliance.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Edit: the coffee filters are a stroke of brilliance.
Peck's head is big enough as it is. He doesn't need guys kissing up to him. :nana:
Thanks for the tip Peck. I'll have to give it a shot.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I'm lazy, cube cuttings takes way too long. Don't wanna get out a paper towel, gather up the scissors, take the flakes out of the tin, spend probably 10mins or more cutting them into tiny bits, and then have to gather them all up and put them back into the tin.
Fold & stuff is much quicker. Take one flake, fold it, stuff it, light it.
FVF has been just fine for me pre packing the bowl in the evening/morning and having it as a first or last of the day bowl. Sitting in the bowl for about 6-8hrs dries it out just right for me.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Ill have to give that a try. My frustration with this blend comes less from the moisture than with the random thicknesses of the individual flakes; I've had a lot of trouble replicating the prep of the bowls I really enjoyed. It sounds like your method might mitigate that a little bit. I'm a bit gun shy of microwaving as I had a minor debacle involving some Erinmore flake, a paper plate, and fire resulting in an irate wife

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
I guess over the years I have just developed a sense when it is ready. Since it is always in my rotation I have had lots of practice. I like to leave it in the tin or in a non air tight jar for a few weeks to a month after opening. I then rub it out to a course ribbon cut and let it sit another week or two. I am also on the lazy side so this has worked out best for me.
I completely agree on the flavors. When it is right there is nothing like it.

carver

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
Thanks for the tip Peck, I recently got a FVF tin that was already 3 years old.

I was really wondering how to get around that one.

bonehed

Nov 27, 2014
I've been using a handheld, manual herb grinder to make quick work of rubbing flakes out. Works well.

Something like this:
$_3.JPG

sthbkr77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2015
MD
I'm planning on picking up a cheap one to try out Bonehed. Glad to hear it's worked well for you. Not discrediting the microwave, for me personally though, it seems odd to use one for such a time honored hobby. I might give it a shot with some 1792 to see for myself though. I've been wrong many times before and don't intend on stopping in this lifetime.

bonehed

Nov 27, 2014
Can vouch for the microwave technique. Good if you just have to have that blend pronto and don't want to wait.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I don't get the problems with this flake. I finally popped a tin to try for the first time, with only about a year of age it had amazing streaks of plume on the flakes. I just cube cut it, dried it for maybe a half hour, it took a few lights but once it got going I had some great smoke output. I found McClellend's to be more troublesome at first, maybe it was my experience with them that made it easy for this.

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
the only problem with using short form initials it could be anything -

ie - FREAKISH VIRGINIA FLAKE
i guess a newbie would not understand the why of smoking a freakish blend !!
get it guys ?

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
This is like a McClellend's thing, I can see the benefit to opening it and letting it sit for a few weeks, day 3 now and there's still more flavor coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.