PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 18, 2015
I bought a can of this in March of 2014 but did not open it until about 7 months ago, smoked a couple of bowls (most likely rubbed it out) and jarred it. Last night I decided to try it 'as is' so I set some out to dry for about 30,40 minuets, lined up the pieces so that they were vertical in the bowl and topped it with a small amount that was rubbed out. The pipe I choose for this is what I would consider a chimney (20mm x about 48mm) the draw was good and I don't feel that the pipe ever got more than warm and I think that was from having to continually re-light, (I gave up on the matches after about ten)

The flavor was great but just past the halfway point it simply would not re-light (too wet)should I have let it dry more? Is this one that needs to be rubbed out?

How do ya'll get this to burn?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I believe you've answered your own question. Too wet means some drying in necessary. Then rub it, stuff it and smoke it. You really didn't take the time to arrange the tobacco like a wee squad of troopers, all vertical in the bowl did you? Never thought of that, I'm impressed but, it obviously didn't work out well.
Seriously, rub out to a texture that seems right, load it and enjoy.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I misread this as prepping "Backwoods", as in the cigars. Chop them up with scissors, and they're great in a pipe.

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
I've left Blackwoods out to dry for 24 hours and it was by no means too dry to smoke.

Sep 18, 2015
@ Warren,

You really didn't take the time to arrange the tobacco like a wee squad of troopers,
Lol, It seemed like a good idea at the time, I mean people fold and stuff flakes....

Sep 18, 2015
I've left Blackwoods out to dry for 24 hours and it was by no means too dry to smoke.
I struggle with this, being relatively new to this and not having other pipe smokers experience to draw on in person, I always worry that it will lose flavor.

I can gage ribbon, shag etc. fairly well. I just recently started exploring flakes and it's been hit or miss so far.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
You never know until you try. Like I say, I was impressed with both the novelty and the determination.
The pipe is a learn as you go experience. Fear no failures! Just keep on keeping on and you'll develop a technique that works for you. Lot's of advice here, much of it conflicting. So, go forth and puff, sip or whatever you settle into. Revel in the learning experience.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
McClellend Va's really benefit from popping the tin, putting the lid on and letting it sit for a few weeks, the introduction of air does something to it that really brings out the tangy flavor, the first time I tried blackwoods I was thoroughly unimpressed, then after a couple weeks sitting in the tin it really transformed. I would suggest taking the lid off the jar and putting it back on once a day until it reaches the optimal moisture level, in the meantime I find cube cutting and then letting it dry for about half and hour before you load a bowl should be fine. I'm also of the opinion if it's too dry I don't enjoy it as much, there's an optimal moisture content for me, when it's there then I"m in full enjoyment. For me it's where the flake you can slightly bend it but it will break if you bend it too much. It's basically learned by experience.
lined up the pieces so that they were vertical in the bowl and topped it with a small amount that was rubbed out.
I've never tried this, I don't even fold and stuff, I always cube cut or rub out. I"ve folded and stuffed a few times but I always come back to cube cutting or rubbing out.

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
I agree with Andy about popping the tin and then putting the lid back on and letting it sit a while. I recently bought a 3.5 oz tin to try it out and, after opening, left it in the tin for a week before moving it over into a jar.
During that first week, whenever I wanted some I always rubbed it out and let it dry a while. After moving it to the jar I haven't found a bad way to smoke it as of yet. I've rubbed it out, wadded it up and shoved it in, cubed it ... you name it. It always seems delicious. I've found more variation in the taste of Blackwoods between pipes than between different prep methods. However, the wad and stuff seems to provide the slowest burning, longest smoke and maybe makes the flavors a TAD less pronounced.
BTW, "wad and stuff" is the closest explanation I can come up with for what I do. It's as close to "fold and stuff" as I can get with a broken flake. I take a few pieces and kind of flex and wiggle them to loosen the fibers a bit and then stuff them in. If there's room left in the bowl, I either repeat with a few more pieces or top it off with a little bit thats rubbed out.
Good luck experimenting with your Blackwoods. It's rapidly becoming one of my favorite blends. I plan on getting some more for the cellar, as I'm sure it only gets better with age.

Sep 18, 2015
Thanks for the help everyone,

When I first opened this I smoked a couple of bowls and was not overly impressed with the flavor, however the bowl the other night had an excellent taste. I think for now I will go ahead and rub out a few bowls worth.

Drying out my tobacco here in TX is a tricky thing, yesterday the humidity was in the low 20's and this morning it is in the high 90's. I picked up some wide mouth half pint jars and I am going to start prepping and drying out an oz. or so then putting it one of the baby jars so that I have something ready to smoke!

Status
Not open for further replies.