PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

vulin

Lurker
Nov 22, 2012
Picked up 3 tins of various tobacco before my deployment overseas. I noticed they all come rolled, is there a correct way of tearing/shredding the tobacco? Im sure its not rocket science, but I wanted to see if there is a technique used.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I assume by "rolled" you mean coin cut, like this:

images

There is no one correct way to prepare coin cut or flakes. I tend to be a member of the "fold and stuff" school. Other smokers break them up to varying degrees. Try different things, and see what works best for you.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Welcome to the forums
I'm a big fan of flakes of different types, most coins like the ones in juds post, I just rub out

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Anything from folded and stuffed to fully rubbed out and all points in between will give you varying results. You will like some more than others so just experiment and learn what suits you best. I will say though that if you fold and stuff, cube cut, or just barely rub the flake out so that it gets loaded into the pipe in large chunks that it is best to reserve and fully dry out a good pinch of fully rubbed out tobacco for top kindling. I always set aside a pinch and when sufficiently dry, crumble to a fine dry almost powdered tobacco to be used as the very top layer of the bowl. Seems to get a nice even ember going for the chunky tobacco below.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Just put er in the pipe and light er mate. Half a dozen ways to load it, try em all and you'll find the one you like best. I almost always rub them out and then sprinkle, gravity fee into the bowl. Give er a gentle tamp, then fill er up again, give er a gentle tamp and light up. enjoy mate.
O, almost forgot, welcome aboard mate. You will find tons of info on here and I am sure you will like the members. Keep your head down over there mate and take care.

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
+1 Jud!
Experiment. Rubbing out a Flake or a Coin is nothing more than preference. You may prefer to do as I do, simply pack and burn!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

intrepid721

Might Stick Around
Feb 6, 2013
Thornton, Colorado
Vulin,

As a newbie myself, I've been toying around with all of the above mentioned techniques, presently I'm exploring cube cutting in depth as it lets me use a knife and smoke a pipe. What I've found is that once you get it going, it seems to burn more completely and uniformly. One area I struggled with initially was finding the right amount of pressure to use when loading the cubes. In my experience, less is more as too tight was a bear to keep from burning too hot to be enjoyable. My initial impression of what I've found to be the Goldilocks packing pressure, was that it was far too lose compared to loading rubbed out flakes, but the proof is in the burns I've been getting, even and complete. The pre-light draw feels airy, almost like there is nothing in the pipe, but once you char and give it a light tamping, you're good to go. Have fun experimenting, happy puffing, and good luck on your deployment, be safe (a relative term I know),cheers! :puffy:

vulin

Lurker
Nov 22, 2012
Thanks for all the replies. I guess there is no way to screw this up. I think I'll try the cube method and see how that works!

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
And if you get a twist tobacco that comes as a length of tobacco rope, simply cut some coins from it and proceed as above. Happy smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.