PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
Chicago winters are brutal, with sub-zero temperatures, razor-sharp winds, and enough snow to make it literally impossible to get out of your overnight parking spot. I started pipe smoking in April so I haven't been through a winter yet. I'm looking ahead and wondering how I'm going to enjoy my pipes over the winter, even at my pretty minimal frequency of 1-2 bowls per week.
Smoking indoors isn't an option for many reasons, most namely because the day I light up inside is the day my wife puts my briars through a wood chipper. I could smoke outside, but taking the time to bundle up so I don't freeze my nuts off would be a hassle (I'd probably have to go for a walk rather than try to sit down to avoid frostbite). There are also a number of B&Ms in the area that allow smoking in their lounges if you buy something during your visit, but I don't really want to buy a new tin every time I want to smoke. I do have a pipe smoking friend with a garage with a space heater, but I can't bank on going to his place every time I want to enjoy some English. Maybe I can find a bar that illegally allows smoking, but that would still require buying something extra every time I want to smoke.
For those of you who live in climates that get really cold (Southern California, you're not welcome in this thread!), how do you deal with winter? Any general tips or secrets? Santa, are you out there?

michaelmirza

Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
Also, here's this. :lol:
d3005c07c093ce3a472d1dd625784152.jpg

michaelmirza

Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
Maybe it's worth while to pay the $750 to become a member of Iwan Ries' smoking lounge.
Haha. The annoying thing about their lounge is that you have to pay to use it even if you're not a member, even if you buy something during your visit. At least a lot of the lounges in the suburbs are free to use with purchase. IRC's lounge might be worth the fee once for the experience.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
My wife likes that the utilities get paid. I smoke in my Lazy Boy in the living room.

Jun 4, 2014
I head for the basement in the winter months. Although I swear that Latakia tastes even better when smoked outside on a cold Winter day.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Question: What's the wood chipper for in Chicago?
Winter is just a fact of life up here, Alaska. We either dress for it or stay inside. Doesn't sound as if you want to adapt. I suspect you'll be enjoying a pipe even less frequently than you are now.

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
Clearly the wood chipper is for punishing husbands. ;-)
Michaelmirza, your local lounges, what is the minimum purchase to enjoy? You say you don't want to pick up a tin every time, would they let you buy a box of filters? I'm sure if you regularly frequent, they get less picky about buying each time. Typically B&M stores are small business run by individuals. I bet if you show regularly and buy at least a tin a month they'll be fine with you hanging out now matter how little you buy each time.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Cold is relative. In south Louisiana anytime the temperature drops below 60 it's considered cold.

On the other hand, I have been in places where it's been brutally cold in the winter - Washington State, Alaska, New York City and New Jersey and Antarctica. The secret to smoking a pipe in those locations is don't smoke a Meerschaum, dress warmly and wear hooded foul-weather gear and gloves.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Having been through many an Illinois winter, I can sympathize.
It's different up there off Lake Michigan ... brrr. 8O
Gear up ... a balaclava is easier and more versatile than a bulky hat and scarf. Layers are also more important than bulk. Glove liners keep your fingers warm when you pull your hands out of the glove to light up. Lastly, and most importantly, a couple shots of whiskey before stepping out goes a long way. :puffy:

sthbkr77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2015
MD
I have a part time job at a B&M and though our rules state you must make a purchase to use the lounge, as foolwiththefez said, we don't strictly enforce it for the regulars. I know who is there and spends money, why harass them? Obviously every shop is different but it's worth a shot.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
This is what I use in my garage.
Actually looks really comfortable. Probably the best option.
The idea of buying a junker is appealing. Some friends of mine had a "smoke van" -- for cigarettes and other stuff -- parked out of sight behind the garage. It smelled like charred death but was very comfortable. I don't think it ran anymore.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I'm in MN so same predicament. In the past I've simply stopped smoking in the winter, but I'd rather not this year. I can go to the garage, but that can be cold as all get out too.
Can one run a propane-based heater in the garage, or is that a recipe for instant death?

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Can one run a propane-based heater in the garage, or is that a recipe for instant death?
I have the same question. Last winter I bundled up and used an electric space heater in the garage, but I was still freezing cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.