PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
A few days ago I decided that I finally was going to smoke and review the dreaded, infamous, and controversial Mixture 79.

Despite the fact that M79 has traditionally been a huge seller, it seems to be the most hated blend on all the pipe forums I frequent. If you want to insult a blend, compare it to M79. Heck, there are dozens of threads scattered about the Internet devoted solely to trashing the stuff. I vaguely remember trying it way, way back in the day, and it was smoked by some guys I knew while growing up, but I really don't remember it well at all. The bottom line is that someone somewhere likes it or they wouldn't keep making it. Also, regardless of our modern preferences, it was at one time considered a great smoke by many regular pipe smokers (famously including Hugh Hefner). It's described as tasting like urinal cakes, dryer sheets, scented candles, and a dozen other disgusting things; it reputedly bites like Jaws and even causes some smokers to turn green, keel over and become the Living Dead. Or something...

But occasionally you will find those who like the stuff, or at least don't consider it to be the worst blend in history. The more positive opinions compare it to traditional scented British blends (Lakelands), and others point out that it may be something of a time capsule, reflecting what past generations enjoyed.

In any case, I want to make up my own mind. Several generous forum dwellers gifted me with samples, and the first arrived yesterday afternoon. Since then, I have been trying to screw up the courage to try it....

My first impressions are based solely on the "tin" or "pouch" note. This is the most intensely flavored tobacco I have encountered with the possible exception of Dark Flake Scented. Holy moley is this stuff flavored. Whatever else I can say right now, I feel comfortable in predicting that there will be NO tobacco flavor to this stuff. Which, for an aromatic, might be acceptable if the flavorings are good enough (I am trying HARD to give this stuff the benefit if the doubt and put myself in the mindset of some guy in the 1960s, who is looking for a sweet break from OTC burlies and whose palate is not accustomed to the infinite variety of high quality sweets we enjoy today or the nearly universal application of vanilla on aromatics).

Anyhow, I am not sure how I feel about the smell. One minute I think it's very pleasant, but the next it seems vaguely nauseating. Very, very weird.... I am usually not indecisive when it comes to this kind of thing, but there it is. I detect strong aromas of wintergreen, anise, possible mint and possibly some type of floral scenting. I definitely understand why this is compared to Lakeland scented flakes, and I imagine the guys who developed it were shooting for an American OTC version of that genre. It doesn't smell like Ennerdale, Kendal, Bosun Cut, or any other Lakeland, but those are the only analogues that come to mind....

Anyhow, I will report back when I finally screw up the courage to actually smoke this stuff....

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
"Preparing for the Mixture 79 review"
Here's the checklist so far:

1. Prepare and file Last Will and Testament

2. Notify next of kin

3. Purchase LOTS of air-freshener

4. Purchase disposable pipes and gloves

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Liberty was the first only blend I've tried, that actually made me gag when I tried to light it. It was Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaddd.

dulgunz

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2015
All you need to do is, reach down and grab ahold (unless your wife carries them in her purse), and smoke it! Its like a band aid, hurry up and do it!

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I need to try that Dan Liberty. I have really liked every Dan tobacco that I have tried. I am sad that there may be one that is poo.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Numbers of people are buying Mixture 79. The mystery is, who? To some people it tastes good ... really good. I guess. Likewise, someone is keeping the Brylon pipe makers in business. Maybe the Brylon pipe buyers are all smoking Mixture 79. It's another universe. Smoke what you like; like what you smoke.

May 4, 2015
Numbers of people are buying Mixture 79. The mystery is, who?
Surely, it can't be sustained solely on its novelty value of being so putrid... or could it? Maybe it's so cheap to produce, that the occasional "I just have to try it" crowd is enough to break even on it.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Maybe the Brylon pipe buyers are all smoking Mixture 79. It's another universe.

BY GOD mso, I think you've figured it OUT!Aliens from another universe. If you wake up after a 3 day memory lapse, your ass hurts, and your farts smell like an elderly ladys perfume, you know what else a Brylon Pipe is good for. The good old smoke shotgun up the bum... :rofl:

Mar 30, 2014
wv
May I suggest using a pipe you wouldn't mind throwing away after your review. I bought pouch a while back just to see if it's as bad as the rumors suggest. I never had the courage to light it up after smelling it.
Tin note: grandma's purse.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Hmm, my grand dad smoked M79. So do hundreds of other old codgers. Can it be that bad, really? I guess I'll to latch on to some for myself and test it out. It has been decades since I've smoked it.

Status
Not open for further replies.