Preparing D&D Game

(23 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by undecagon
  • Latest reply from Charles
  1. undecagon

undecagon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

OK - so it's time I out myself as a nerd. The core of which is centered on being a Star Wars fan for life. I was selected to give my 8th grade graduation speech and based the whole thing on SW. My apartment is littered w/ SW posters/paraphernalia. Many other nerdy things exist in my life. I'm also a professional musician, which can be considered nerdy. HOWEVER, the point of this post is that I'm currently planning a D&D game. This is game 3 of a 10 game series and I've been having a hard time moving from theoretical ideas to concrete plans for the game (Yes...I am DM). Currently, Some GL Pease Meridian is helping, and I'll be moving to GL pease Jack Knife before i hit the sack. I almost exclusively smoke GLP blends. I also own an opened C&D Barister and a Sutliff Blend No. 5. Both of which sit in my tobacco cabinet and I look at thinking "I could smoke you...but i enjoy my GLP so much more..."

ANYWAY - thought it'd be interesting to see if anyone else was a D&D player. Game 3 is this Saturday and I'm way far behind schedule in planning as opposed to what I'd like, but I'm trying to get a haunted mansion feel for this one and it's been difficult. Furthermore I wanted to talk about the blends I'm smoking w/out entering the "What Are You Smoking" thread where people w/ clearly more money or at least more of a collection then I expect to have w/in the next few years reside and make me feel small. So....GLP fans out there? D&D fans out there?

"I said NO camels, that's FIVE camels...can't you count?!"
    AJHvibes.com
    Posted 7 years ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

OMG!! I haven't played D&D since I was teenager - but that game fostered my love for RPG on xbox and what not. I never ran a D&D game, pretty much just a minion so to speak, amazingly I recently found (and lost again) the dice I used to use for the games.

I can't remember a darn thing about D&D other then it was blast while I played - wuold love to be able to do it again tho.

Posted 7 years ago #
  3. irish2fish

irish2fish

Login to Send PM

I dont play D&D but am quite the Star Wars fan who has been known to play with my kids SW Legos.lol I feel your pain about the not having the tobacco collection of others in this forum. I just buy what smells good at the local tobacco shop. Well good luck with the game,wish i could help.

God loves the Infantry!
    Posted 7 years ago #
  4. undecagon

undecagon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just got a new job teaching music for a 210% increase in pay from my old job at a liquor store, WOW! So -- After a pay check or two I'll be heading into Chicago to visit Iwan Ries for a large tobacco purchase. Also my collection will still be easily dwarfed, I'll at least feel like I have a place.

In regards to the game, I think I have the outline of the encounters I want the players to face, now I just have to roll out some NPCs tonight, and I'll be all set. I'll let you all know how the game goes!

Posted 7 years ago #
  5. undecagon

undecagon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

OH, and Irish2, I LOVE LEGOS. Both real life SW Legos, as well as the SW legos Video Games. Haven't gotten the newest one because I haven't seen all of the Clone Wars show and don't want it spoiled, but anticipate I'll see it all soon and buy the game shortly afterwards

Posted 7 years ago #
  6. soylentgreen

soylentgreen

Login to Send PM

I've been running a D&D campaign for 6 years now. We play about twice a month. Good fun.

My style of play is more on the wargaming side of the spectrum and less on the "plot" and "roleplay" side. So it's mostly dungeon crawls. The goal is almost always "kill things and take their stuff". I think the players stay interested because a) all D&D players like to advance their PCs in wealth and level; we've just retired PCs that have been played for 5 years of real time, and b) guys in their 30s and 40s with wife, mortgage, and kids, by and large don't get much opportunity to drink beer, be loud, and act like middle-schoolers very often. It's therapeutic.

So what works for me is to think in terms of puzzles and challenges. What sounds cool. Set up a bunch of cool locations, monsters, and NPCs. But don't over-detail it; aim for lots of thinly detailed stuff rather than fewer highly detailed stuff. Then let the players decide what they want to do.

Don't be constrained by "medieval" or LOTR either. My players have found laser guns and even ended up naked and lost on Barsoom (John Carter from Mars anyone?). Keep the players guessing, but not too confused.

I also use the old modules They're great, but the trick is to only use what you want. Feel free to edit the map if it seems too long, or drop in a different treasure, or swap-out a monster. Or run it as is.

I don't think about plot anymore. I used to and for me, that was way more difficult. Now the players "make up the story" by choosing, overcoming, and failing at the challenges they've chosen.

We play the original rules published in ~1975. That helps this sort of thing a lot. Recent versions make this more difficult (for me) because the rules are far more detailed and seem to demand more preparation.

Good luck.
    -Wayne

Posted 7 years ago #
  7. juvat270

juvat270

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Former 2nd Edition player here!! Many a night was spent in my youth, gathered around a table playing D&D. My friends nearly castrated me when I mentioned we should play the then new "Spelljammer" campaign (I thought it was kinda neat).

I tried to get back into it about 10 years ago while stationed in Japan. I bought a crap load of the new 3rd edition books at the BX, but I couldn't find anyone who wanted to play.

Oh well...The one thing I've always loved about D&D rules books, even if you don't play, they're still fun to read!

Another game I would love to get into is "Warhammer: 40,000". I always liked the models and the lore and thought it would be a blast to play, but again, couldn't find anyone interested in it.

Posted 7 years ago #
  8. ichbinmuede

ichbinmuede

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I do love the good old fashioned pen and paper. The only 2nd edition that I've played was in Baldur's Gate for PC but I've played a goodly amount of 3.5 and only a little of 4th. I'm not sure about 4th but it has made the game easier to grasp for new players and the action moves quite a bit faster so that's quite fun, but I would have to play more to decide how I really feel. I haven't played in several years but I would love to play again.

"Enjoy every sandwich." -Warren Zevon
    Best advice that I've ever heard.
    Posted 7 years ago #
  9. maduroman

maduroman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

ex dungeon master with all the refference books. picked em up when i was in germany and they helped pass the time when we were to broke to go out and chase women...

Posted 7 years ago #
  10. brewshooter

Brewshooter

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ah sweet days of youth! All of my RPG gear, D&D and AD&D among them, hasn't been used much since college. I also played a bit of Warhamer Fantasy Battle and Warhammer 40K. I've always thought it would be fun to get back into, but just don't seem to have the time with all my other new hobbies. My wife was a bit of a gamer in her day as well and was one heck of an artist, with a strong bent toward fantasy themes. As for the Star Wars thing, I was seven years old when the first film came out and things haven't been the same since!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
    -C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)
    Posted 7 years ago #
  11. spartan

Spartan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I played "Magic the Gathering" card game through Highschool, I still have all my cards, I just forgot how to play lol...

"I was born to lose. So I'll die to win." -Breaking Benjamin
    Posted 7 years ago #
  12. olderthandirt

OTD

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Furthermore I wanted to talk about the blends I'm smoking w/out entering the "What Are You Smoking" thread where people w/ clearly more money or at least more of a collection then I expect to have w/in the next few years reside and make me feel small.

Piffle to feeling "small"!
    1 blend or 50 to choose from the cabinet means nothing with respect to posting in the "What Are You Smoking" thread. Post away undecagon, post away!

Snus, snuff and briar.
    Not much more required in a day.
    Brian from Oregon USA
    Posted 7 years ago #
  13. abecox

abecox

Login to Send PM

I've DM-ed a few campaigns. We mostly stick to 3.5 because we don't like the new rulebooks. I've been trying to keep the campaign going, but its college and we all like to do other things as well. Eventually we'll get back into it.

Posted 7 years ago #
  14. classicgeek

classicgeek

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

LOL

I played when I was in Junior High, and then got to play a bit about six or seven years ago when a co-worker of mine had a group he played with. D&D and Magic: The Gathering. Just recently I picked up the "red box" as my daughter is almost old enough to play now, and my wife showed an interest as well. If that goes anywhere, I'll have to upgrade my manuals, since I've got 1st Edition. 4th Edition it is!

As for the "What are you smoking?": post my friend, post. I do, and I am usually smoking something bulk (like 1Q right now) or something that a lot of the guys wouldn't deign to put in their briar, like X Sweet Mystery. My pipes aren't exactly royal, either. It's just a touchstone to see who's around and puffing away.

Simon

Posted 7 years ago #
  15. schmitzbitz

schmitzbitz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I dabbled in D&D in my Jr. Highschool days, but by the time I hit senior high, I had discovered the joys of both text (and early graphics based) MUDs and beating on people with sword and board via the SCA. I never did get involved to the point where I started DM'ing, but I did collect first and second edition manuals and guides (my pride and joy is a 1st Edition Deities and Demigods hardcover that hasn't been opened).

As for the "What are you smoking now" thread, don't be daunted - we all started somewhere, and for most of us, that somewhere wasn't an unsmoked 7 day Dunhill set loaded with 3 Nuns circa 1940. While some people do certainly have a stash that would make a tobacconist green with envy, you'll find there are just as many people who smoke nothing but Carter Hall, or 1Q (I'm looking at you, Hobie), and post about it regularly. That doesn't make them any less of a pipe-smoker; nor does dropping thousands of dollars on leaf and briar make you more of a pipe-smoker.
    The only reason I stopped posting there is to keep some sort of an air of mystery as to what blends I'll be reviewing next.

Posted 7 years ago #
  16. seanz

seanz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

i am en ex gamer havent played in years, me and my mates also used to play A Middle Earth card game it was a cool system sort of like magic but not really

New Zealand
    Peter Piper.
    Give me the weed, the fragrant weed, My wearied brain to calm; In a wreath of smoke, while I crack my joke, I'll find a healing balm.
    Posted 7 years ago #
  17. krgulick

krgulick

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not into D&D, but just to chime in on the idea that you need to have dozens of tobaccos to choose from in order to post what you are smoking. Just one word: poppycock. I smoke Shortcut to Mushrooms most of the time and post almost daily in the "What are you smoking?" thread. As time goes by, I am sure you get the opportunity to smoke a number of different blends over the course of time. Just enjoy whatever you have in your pipe at the moment.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are small and crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    Posted 7 years ago #
  18. undecagon

undecagon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Love all the other D&D fans out there. We use 3.5, but change many rules to our liking. And don't actually use miniatures or maps.

Would also like to clarify my error. I have no problem posting WHAT i am smoking. It's the "WHERE ARE YOU SMOKING" threads that I find intimidating! Some peoples pipe collections in their pipe rooms are almost bigger than the apartments I've lived in for the past 5 years!!!

Posted 7 years ago #
  19. brewshooter

Brewshooter

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Would also like to clarify my error. I have no problem posting WHAT i am smoking. It's the "WHERE ARE YOU SMOKING" threads that I find intimidating! Some peoples pipe collections in their pipe rooms are almost bigger than the apartments I've lived in for the past 5 years!!!

Well, I smoke outdoors, but my pipe collection is kept in the smallest bedroom in the house, which also houses my music studio, brewing equipment, and kegerator. It's an impressive room, no doubt!

Posted 7 years ago #
  20. olderthandirt

OTD

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ahh, not as in the OP What, but Where is at issue, that I can empathize with.
    My motley collection of late 20th century garage sale furnishings is not something I will soon put on public display! (-;

Posted 7 years ago #
  21. krgulick

krgulick

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No worries about that. I smoke outside myself. Its probably been 20 years since I smoked anything anywhere inside whilst being healthy enough to be out of bed and dressed to some sort of acceptable manner.

Posted 7 years ago #
  22. undecagon

undecagon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So the game last night was a lot of fun. Menu included, GLP lagonda, quiet nights, and JKP. Also had some CAO MX2 box presses. All served with a mix of Dragon's Milk, hobgoblin, nosferatu, and dead guy ale. 2 hours of sleep and here I am about to play at church. Oye vey!

Posted 7 years ago #
  23. riptide

Charles

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I haven't played D&D in years I sold all of my AD&D book back in high school out of spite of being in a crappy small town in Oklahoma. Recently I have been playing Deadlands and 7th Sea. I plan on running a Shadowrun 4th ed. in a few months the rules have been streamed lined so no pulling out of the hair.

As for what I smoke it is almost always 1Q or 1M.

Charles D. Wilemon
    Posted 7 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   npod, judcole