PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
This one's in pretty bad shape. Not sure if any restoration can even be done, but I'm only out $5. I found this pipe at an antique store today. The inside of it's case says "Premier". All Pipedia had on Premier Pipes is that they came from Chicago. I can't even tell what material its made from. Doesn't look or feel like Meerschaum. Doesn't look like Briar (though that could be due to the rough condition). Anybody here know anything about Premier pipes?

mP0DAYU.jpg

cuOqb4u.jpg

O8MEn2O.jpg

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I'm thinkin Meer and maybe Amber stem?? Would have to see better pics of the stem...

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
You might have a real winner there, my friend. Those sorts of cases generally are sold with Meerschaums. Good luck finding out the history.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Premier played an important role in the history of American pipe manufacturing, but little about the company is available online and at least a sizable fraction of that little is false.
Premier Briar Pipe Co, Inc. was incorporated in mid 1913 as a successor to the Carl Hirsch Company. The company was actually a NY corporation, although production appears to have shifted from New York to New Jersey after a few years. It led an independent existence for about 6 1/2 years, and then at the beginning of 1920 was merged into Reiss Brothers of Chicago, forming Reiss-Premier. Your pipe must have therefore been made sometime between the middle of 1913 and the tail end of 1919.
By the way, though Carl Hirsch was an important player in the industry in his time, his impact was dwarfed by his nephew, Rudolph Hirsch. Rudolph started in his uncle's business as a kid, became part of Reiss-Premier after the 1920 merger, and was there when it bought KBB in the summer of 1926. He eventually rose to become the longtime chief of the entire business, and one of the most powerful men in the U.S. pipe manufacturing industry.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Jon Guss to the rescue!
856727.jpg

I saw restore it! Steve on Reborn Pipes has done a number of pipes of that age with Amber stems, I'd read up on his practices.

Status
Not open for further replies.