PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I was recently given a pear wood pipe. And I LOVE it. I make no excuses.
In fact, I think I prefer it to my briar pipes. I love my briars, don't get me wrong. But I find nothing inferior about this pipe.
This is obviously counter to conventional wisdom. Any thoughts from experienced pipers as to why this is?? Am I just weird?
Details: I found it needed no break-in period, smoked fast but not hot (cool, in fact), smoked very dry, and the taste was outstanding - noticeably superior among my go-to, familiar tobaccos, and lighter to clench.
Thoughts?

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I like them too, I have 2 Brog Scoots, my tractor pipes and now I smoke them even when I"m not useing the tractor. When they were new I really liked the sweet taste of the wood.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Just bought a Mr. Brog churchwarden. Prior to firing up a bowl, I just clenched it for a while and inhaled through the pipe, and the flavor/aroma of pear was definitely there. Earlier today, i decided to make it my "codger/Burley" pipe, and smoked a bowl of Sugar Barrel. Didn't notice any extra pear flavor, but after a couple of relights early on, it settled into a nice, cool smoke. Bowl didn't get terribly hot, tongue feels fine. I'll see how it shakes out as I continue to break it in, but so far so good.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
I own three of Mr. Brog's pear wood pipes and I like them a lot. I have a Kentucky, an Amigo and a Billiard. The only thing I do not care for is that the bowl size on the Billiard is a little on the small size.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
61AD088C-3494-4B3A-9A1A-1CD0F81F1F4C-71675-0000652BB0206AB0_zps019623e3.jpg
About a Group 4 on bowl size, good size for a small pipe. The old cajun

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
Thank you for the pictures. It really helps me know what to expect for size when I buy one. by the way, what do you smoke in those two pipes? (By the way, I know it is tobacco :lol: )

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
Smoke what you like, in what you like! I often find myself reaching for a cob instead of a briar. I don't have a pear wood yet, but I do enjoy my cherry wood pipe. I find the cherry wood does impart a subtle smokiness that goes well with some tobaccos.

dhizzy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2011
I have one as well. I love it. It is a small pipe and is what I often use for flakes. It is the lightest pipe I have and while I wont say it is superior to briar it isn't inferior either.

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
I'm beginning to "eye up" the pear tree in my back dooryard.
And I do have a couple chunks of cherry that have been ageing for a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.