PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 14, 2013
Oregon
Howdy, I'm new here and fairly new to pipes. However, I've been a wood worker for quite awhile now and like to experiment with finishes. (mainly different types of oil) And I was wondering what the preferred finish for a pipe is?
I recently picked up a Big Ben pipe that had a red lacquer finish that I ended up removing. I used a cherry stain and then finished it with some olive oil and then a little bit of lemon oil infused paraffin wax to smooth everything out.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Beardedavenger, I admire your bold attitude about changing the finish on your pipe. I've always wanted

a Big Ben or other pipe from the Netherlands, to broaden the geographical representation of my pipes.

I'm a minimalist on treating the finish of pipes. I leave it at polishing with a soft cloth preferably when

the pipe is still a little warm from smoking, after emptying the bowl with a pipe tool, wiping it out with

tissue, and cleaning it with a pipe cleaner. I might go for a really light coat of the right oil now and

then. I think it would be easy to over wax and/or oil a bowl and end up with residue that would be worse

than any wear. A certain amount of visible wear is a good thing, develops the character of a pipe.

But I'm glad to take instruction from you guys. I learn a lot, whether I take the advice or not. I'd rather

know about these treatments for the briar and other pipe materials. I have had excellent luck

buying new unfinished briar pipes, some from years ago, that breathe really nicely, smoke cool, and

develop a tone and color enchanting as any meerschaum. I highly recommend them, and they seem

to give a price break on many of them. However, I have also had fine smoking from a few pipes with

well-sealed finishes that don't overheat, breathe fine, and smoke well. If pipe makers know what

they're doing, most finishes or no finish can work, if the knowhow is there.

sjfine

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 4, 2012
Lately, Walt Cannoy's suede blast. Mmmmmmm.
And my standby favorite: Becker's Morland Oak blast. My white whale pipe (in assorted shapes)

p0605_1.jpg

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
The traditional finish on briar pipes is pure carnauba wax applied on a buffing wheel.

withnail

Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
I prefer a dark stain unless the briar has an especially nice grain, then a lighter stain shows it off nicely. I also prefer a smooth rather than rusticated or sand blasted.
As others have said, you don't want to seal the pipe with a hatch type varnish. Good luck with your project and I look forward to seeing some pictures.

sjfine

Mar 4, 2012
Is that a morta pipe? How does it smoke?
I think so; and I wish I knew, but if it smokes anything like my Becker - amazingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.