PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2011
I know that this could easily be opening up a can of worms, as everyone has their preferences and opinions, but I figured I should ask anyway.
Tomorrow I am getting in my Savinelli that I ordered, and maybe an estate that will need some cleaning, but I am wondering if there is any preference of a specific blend or blend category that you guys have. The sav I plan on using for mostly English blends, Presbyterian, SG's SL, SPC's plum Pudding, and the like. Presbyterian is the only one I am familiar with out of those.
So my question is, are there some blends that are better for breaking in pipes, or does it not really matter on the baccy, but more the technique in which you're doing it. For me, it'll be starting off with 1/4-1/3 bowls, smoke it nice and slow, and build up a little with each additional bowl.
Thanks for the help!

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
I personally lean toward letting the pipe decide what it likes to smoke. I take into consideration the chamber and internal construction, and what I'm smoking heavily at the moment, and then just start trying tobacco until one hits the mark. Ferinstance, I've been staring long and hard at my new Uncle Arthur signature line billiard, and I'm feeling it wants a burley flake--though if push comes to shove, I'm sure it will smoke anything I throw at it with aplomb owing to the *impeccable* construction. Let us know how your quest goes with pictures!

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
You know I never really thought about it. When breaking in a pipe I just always smoked what I wanted in it. I only have couple of pipes that I have dedicated, but even these I didn't smoke specific tobacco, just one I wanted within the tobacco type I dedicated.

nikko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2011
okay, I think I will just start with the pres, since it's open and know what it's like to get a feel for the pipe and then give each of the other blends a couple bowls to see how it feels.
on a side note, I'm also getting two cobs that I plan on using with aroes, I know that they dont' build up a cake, but is there anything special about smoking them, or is it just put some baccy in, smoke, clean the pipe, and wipe out the bowl?
thanks again for the help!

nikko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2011
marmal, meaning you do twist the paper towel through, or you don't. From what I've gathered, most do it afterwards to build an even carbon cake correct?

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Load & fire on the cobs--they actually seem to perform better the more abuse you heap on them actually. And don't sweat the blend or genre dedication too much, personally I enjoy the minor ghosting effect as I loosely genre-dedicate. When I smoke a new blend I invariably turn to the clay and the meer to really feel the unadulterated taste, and then start burning the briars.

nikko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2011
well, a meer pipe is in the sites, but I haven't researched them too much and feel like the fleabay generics might not be a good first experience. and I am way too poor to do a strict dedication, but am mostly going to have aroes pipes and none aroes pipes.

Jul 12, 2011
I use Burley (if you like it), builds a good cake fast/strong...H&H Classic Burley Kake or Solani Aged Burley is damn goooooooood leaf :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.