PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Just curious, what is the top weight you guys are comfortable with clenching? Personally I like a good clencher for working. If the shape is right and it feels good hanging from my mouth, I don't mind a 50-60 gram pipe.

tavol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2018
I pretty much clench all the time and the bulk of my rotation is less than 50g and often closer to 40g, really the lighter the better.
I also feel shorter pipes make for better clenchers and favor pipes of 5" or less

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
No preference, this one's 255g (9oz).
img_20150107_0756142.jpg

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I have a half bent Stanwell that weighs 49 grams. It is a good clencher, but almost too heavy. Another one, a half bent freehand weighs 52 grams and is way too heavy. There must be some difference in proportions and shaping that makes the 52 grams seem much heavier than 49 grams. My two newest bents both weigh less than 40 grams and are perfect. I would say 45 grams or less for bents and 35 or less for straight pipes. Approximately.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Straight pipes = 48-50 grams max

Full Bent Pipes = no limit per se
My favorite clencher is a pipe with saddle stem, weight less than 32 grams, like a Lovat style or similar.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I agree with Neal and Michael 100%. One must consider the physics of leverage.
I'll add that the practical limits will vary by individual. You need to take into consideration how you like to clench because it will impact your choices of pipe length, weight, and button size. I now vary my clenching style based upon the pipe.
Big, full bents need a comfortable button to work. If you clench transversely, with the button held firmly between your premolars, you'll be able to manage a longer, heavier pipe than clenching perpendicularly, with the button fully behind your premolars. So, your clenching style may dictate the shape of the stem and button, or vice versa.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Obviously, you like to clench, Crash. Perhaps you're oversimplifying. If you could put some parameters around your preferences, you would stand a better chance of avoiding the cost and bother of ridding yourself of uncomfortable pipes.

pipehunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2016
As mentioned above, it's weight adjusted by leverage that is more telling (at least for me). The straight pipes I pick when planning to clench for any extended period tend to be very light, usually 25-35 grams. I have a lot of 3/4 and full bent pipes, many quite substantial, where the weight doesn't seem to matter. Personally, I find Oom Pauls ugly as all get out but have three or four because they hang like they aren't even there....

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You pretty much have to clench all pipes in order to light them. However, if I'm going to smoke hands-free at all, 1.6 ounces is about my limit, and for anything length of time, the closer to an ounce the better, especially if the pipe has an ample bowl anyway. I have a Genod egg that looks quite small, but that egg-shape bowl will swallow much tobacco. Obviously, bent pipes reduce the sense of weight against your teeth, so that also counts for a lot. But 1.6 is the edge of my comfort zone, and better bent than straight for this purpose.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
craiginthecorn, you are correct in that I am oversimplifying. In fact I've never gotten rid of a pipe for this reason. It is definitely just a balance thing that I can tell when I pick it up. I have pipes that I know will not clench well, which I save for when I will be sitting somewhere and talking to someone. But I clench 90% of the time so I just have gotten a feel for what works before I buy it. If I am making a pipe meant to clench, I tend to keep it around 35g or less, but that balance point is key.

economistandfisherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2018
Depends on what your objective is...if it's just comfort, it doesn't matter because your jaw muscles will eventually build up enough strength to accommodate any weight or shape..it may take a while but they will. If you are talking about not damaging your teeth, this depends on how good of shape your teeth are in to begin with, but this is my main concern, so I try to keep mine below 1.75 ozs (sorry, I'm American...I don't use metrics); I've found there is exponentially less stress on my teeth than say a 2+ oz pipe. But again, that's just me and my teeth talking, everyone's different.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I have no means to weigh my straight pipes, but Peterson 106's are ideal for clenching, whereas the 107's are a little tough on the teeth.

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
I like clenching my MM Rob Roy pipes.

They weight about 1.3 ounces, or 37 grams.

Some day I’ll find a briar that I like in this weight class.

Status
Not open for further replies.