PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Though I am enchanted in a way about the idea of a pipe fitted with precious metals and gem stones,

I finally come down somewhat/mildly opposed. Bedecking a pipe, presumably of exquisite quality, with

jewelry material and jewels themselves seems unnecessary and outside the tradition of pipe craft, and

turns the pipe into a repository of investment venturing too far from the actual purpose of a tobacco pipe.

I'd rather have the investment made in the finest of briar and stem material, with perhaps the addition of

some rare materials (woods, bone, etc.) as accents. But just embedding rubies and rose gold strikes me

as the wrong way to go. It makes an interesting artifact but diminishes the pipe as a pipe. Am I too much

of a traditionalist, or just being envious of those who can afford a bent billiard with a diamond setting?

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Ok mso, I'll agree with you about the gem stones, not my style, but as far as metals go, I'm not opposed. I like mainly traditional pipes, and have some with metal fittings that came that way, and some with metal fittings that are the result of repair. Some metal fittings seem attractive to me, others are a little too fussy for my taste. But I do know that metal fittings as decoration go back to at least the late 1800s, and I've owned a couple in the past. I guess everyones taste is different, and that's why there are so many pipe designs and tobacco types. I'm just glad to have the choices.... :puffy:

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
I could maybe see a single gem on top of the band, but not much more than that. Different metals? Sure, long as they're tastefully matched to the finish. Maybe even some engraving or filigree of some kind.
But in general I think a classically-shaped pipe is just too simple an object to permit a whole lot of gimcrackery and not turn out gaudy.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
It's all about the execution. While easy to gaudy up a pipe and have it look bad, it always takes a deft craftsman to use these things in an understated and attractive way. I look at every pipe on a case by case basis. I would be inclined to think that this would be a less is more, situation. I will say though that many examples of jeweled pipes I have seen, did not look good. I wouldn't mind a Dunhill Longitude though, I think they are a pretty good looking pipe. Also when Castello gilds just the plateau of their Searock pipes in silver, both tasteful and handsome IMO.

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
Gold and silver bands work for me. Metals aren't anything foreign to men and men's traditional appearance: wedding rings, watches, cufflinks, tie bars, belt buckles, etc. And engraving could even work, as it definitely does on fine sporting guns, for example. But I may have to draw the line with stones. With a few exceptions like a very subtle tie bar or cufflink accent, I simply see them as 1. feminine and 2. not working at all on a pipe.

Of course, none of this applies if the smoker is, in fact, a woman.

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
I don't care for gemstones, but I love silver on a pipe. The silver band is about the only thing that attracts me to a Pete.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I am with daimyo on this one. I would have to look at it on a per pipe basis.

The example Walt posted of the Fukushima Fish appears to use stones very tastefully to my eye.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I've got a pipe made in Japan during the occupation that is adorned with mother of pearl. I would never smoke it. It's just part of the collection and collecting is a viable "use" for a tobacco pipe, at least in my mind.
I do like gold and silver bands on pipes. I can see the judicious use of metals in accenting the lines of a pipe if it's done tastefully but precious stones don't do anything for me. Maybe I just haven't seen one I like yet.
You've probably seen those Medicos with the silver gilding about them in the form of a hunting scene or whatever. Those aren't to my liking either. Too hard to keep clean and often way overpriced!

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Pull the trigger! It's only $52,900

This guy is smoking crack.... $9000 for a boring poker with no adornment? $16,000 for a okay looking egg, reverse Calabash? $22,900 for a basic pot that sits slightly crooked? I feel sorry for any of his customers. :? Nothing wrong with working your way into being able to charge like a legend, but in my book you should achieve the status before your prices reflect it.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
I feel sorry for any of his customers.
Ha ! Don't spend too much time worrying. His customers are.... non existent. All of these pipes have been available for something like 3 or 4 years that I know of. I assume they will be there forever, like the rock of Gibraltar, a landmark for the generations.

Every time I check the site though, the prices have gone UP by a few thousand, so perhaps theres a method to his madness. At the very least, there is a madness.

wcannoy

Can't Leave
Nov 29, 2012
Lakeland, FL
Every time I check the site though, the prices have gone UP by a few thousand, so perhaps theres a method to his madness
I think he is charging by the hour for the extra time it takes a pipe to sell...

moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2012
Ah, Mike Messer. I haven't looked at his site for a while and those pipes are inflating at an astonishing rate. I bookmarked it now so I can check in every year until one of them becomes the first million dollar pipe (subject to him ever finding a customer). Seriously, though, I feel bad for the guy. He seems to be unwell.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
He seems to be unwell.
He is something. I want to like the guy, and I actually respect him for just being so damn stubborn and sticking to his guns. But on top of being.... delusional.... he also makes borderline terroristic threats and says things along the lines of " it would be a shame if somebody came to your house and killed you" when people tell him things he doesn't like.

Who knows what goes through the guys head.

He told me one time the last laugh would be on us. I think if any of his pipes ever sell, he will be right :D

At that point, it will be obvious I'm doing everything wrong. :lol:

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
He told me one time the last laugh would be on us. I think if any of his pipes ever sell, he will be right :D
76 $700 pipes or one 53k pipe? Man, life is full of tough choices.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
76 $700 pipes or one 53k pipe? Man, life is full of tough choices
Well, there ya go. From his standpoint If he sells one pipe he's done for a year. He will have to work far too hard to make 76 pipes a year!

Status
Not open for further replies.