PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I just won this Preben Holm on eBay for $40 including shipping. It is marked Preben Holm Tradition Ruby C5 and has the PH marking on the stem. Any ideas as to age or value of this pipe?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PREBEN-HOLM-TRADITIONAL-RUBY-STAMPED-PIPE-PIPESTUD-/390498508494

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
All I know of Preben Holm was he was a unique Danish carver and his pipes have a reputation for being good smokers. I've heard good about pipestud as a seller so I sniped it.

mlaug

Part of the Furniture Now
May 23, 2010
Iowa
Holm made several lines under his "PH" label, a Zodiac and Classic series. Your Traditional series was one, too. These were done in the 1960's. The "Ruby" designation is the stain color and the C5 was the grade.
Nice pipe! Notice how even carving a "traditional" shape, he couldn't help but put a nice freehand style feature on the bowl. 8)
I'm sure you'll be proud to own it.

mlaug

Part of the Furniture Now
May 23, 2010
Iowa
I'm still thinking about your pipe, Baron. That is a stupid good price.
My memory isn't great, but I seem to remember seeing these lines at the $50-60 price point back in the day....and gas was .$50/gal. To me, $50 then was serious pipe money.
If we could take a ride in a time machine, we'd clean house. :lol:

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I hear that! We could do some lottery numbers, too! I think it's a great pipe. I guess a C-5 is about mid grade for that line?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Baron, I would not be surprised that if the pipe had been cleaned up and better pictures taken, it would have sold for at least triple of what you paid. His auctions are great because he doesn't clean anything and his pictures are average, you can score great pipes for cheap money if you watch his auctions. Congrats on what is sure to be a great smoker for you. After you clean it up let us see how much better it looks.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Thanks guys! I knew Preben Holm made mostly freehands but I tend to favor classic shapes. This one was a bit of both. I wish Id asked about the markings. I'll have to post what I find when I get the pipe and take some pix. I was bidding on another PH pipe but I got skunked on that one, so I was happy to get one for $40.

Status
Not open for further replies.