Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 26, 2017
Los Angeles
I just inherited it from my best friends father. It's in beautiful shape except for oxidization on the stem. I was wondering if this particular Preben Holm had any real value and if sending it to be polished up would affect that value. Thank you.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Welcome to the forum.
Polishing the stem would not lessen the value of the pipe.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Welcome, jeremy! Almost any PH is going to be worthy. A polish up on the stem & stummel will almost certainly make it sell faster & for a few more bucks (unless it eradicates the stem logo) on fleabay if that's what you're after. Pictures of the pipe (especially the markings) would definitely be useful in determining model line, era, & condition. Quite a few PH aficionados here, pappymac & me in particular.
Bill

Dec 26, 2017
Los Angeles
Hello Again, I'm actually an avid pipe smoker, although my tastes generally go towards more traditional pipe designs. I'm mainly curious about the value of the pipe because if it's worthwhile, I may parlay that into repairing and refurbishing the other pipes I inherited from him. The pipe has been in a box in a closet since 1990 or so, so it was very dusty, I gave it a quick wipe with a damp cloth before taking the pictures. Thanks.

preben-holm-bottom-418x600.jpg

preben-holm-top-398x600.jpg

preben-holm-left-side-426x600.jpg

preben-holm-left-rear-518x600.jpg

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Now that is a nice looking pipe. You can always send the pipe out to be cleaned but why not clean the stem yourself. There's lots of good instructions on this site, and it's pretty straight forward. Also check out reborn pipes site.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
What is the stamping under Preben Holm? I can't make it out other than the name and the Circle 7.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
What is the stamping under Preben Holm? I can't make it out other than the name and the Circle 7.
Hand Cut. Used after the early P.HOLM mark, and before the Ben Wade period.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
Welcome to the Forums.
Very nice pipe.

The numeral in the circle is a 1, not a 7, which would be stamped with a European-style 7 with a cross-mark in the circle. Unfortunately I cannot find the image that demonstrates this.

I have a Preben Holm Smooth Pick Axe shape with the same 1-in-circle numeric stamp; I made the same hopeful assumption that it was a 7.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Jack's dead-on. The European "1" has a relatively long serif, sometimes descending nearly all the way down.
IIRR, PH's Hand Cuts were graded 1 thru 4, 1 being the lowest. However that doesn't mean it's not an extremely nice pipe, today especially. Preben's personal standards were very high, & the fact that he gave this a 1 instead of making it a second means that this is still a desirable pipe. My guess on date would be '68-'70.
Bill

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
It's an older pipe, looks to be in excellent condition. On ebay I'd expect $75-125. Best guess. The broad price range, well that's ebay.
:)

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Yup, depends on how described & who's searching at a given time. With auction sites it's normally whatever the buyer will pay. Although I've seen a LOT of pipes go unsold because the seller had an inordinate conception of what to offer it as, often widows whose husbands told them so-&-so was a really rare pipe. Good example is a Hilson Fantasia in pretty rough interior shape (meerlined, after all) that's been offered for $125 because exactly that. She turned down an offer of $40 I made. That was well over 6 months ago. It's still there & she still wants $125. Not happening. :)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-SNEPS-HILSON-FANTASIA-ESTATE-PIPE-BOX-53-S-BELGIUM-GREEN-YELLOW-MILANO/311854325688

Status
Not open for further replies.