PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I'm positive it's a bit of a dumb question, but is there a problem with pre-slicing a plug and then jar it?
I've a few plugs here I wanna try, but slicing and then drying prior to smoking is mighty inconvenient for me. I was wondering if I could slice them up and then dry some then jar them in a 'ready to smoke' mason jar.

btp79

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2018
Sugar Land, TX
If it's not in my ageing jars, I'll usually preslice about half a plug and leafe the remainder whole. It works well for me!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have a couple of jars that I keep all of my Salty Dogs plugs whole in. They are even still in cellophane. When I get one out, I will shave it completely down to ribbons and pack them in a smaller jar.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Ah, crumble cakes are a little different. I just break a piece off and rub it out then jar the rest. If you smoke Black Frigate, you shouldn't have any issue with BR. It's the base used to make BF. :wink:

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I'm only semi-lazy. :lol:
I usually prep 3-4 smokes worth at a time, so I can load and go when it's smoke time.
jay-roger.jpg

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
I prefer to slice the plug every time before smoking first of all because I believe it ages better when unsliced and second because I keep open my choices of how to cut. The downside is obviously work is needed to be done every time (but this is part of the pleasure for me of the plugs) and that it is not available right away when you want as generally drying is required (but for me the creation of the anticipation is part of the game).

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yes, I'd rather do some or all of the prep on plugs and then jar it in incremental quantities, leaving the rest as a plug to keep it fresh.

Status
Not open for further replies.