Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Reviews

Tags:  No tags yet. 

pre-review then in a day or full review.

(10 posts)
  • Started 1 week ago by anotherbob
  • Latest reply from anotherbob
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

anotherbob

Login to Send PM

I went to my local cigar shop and got Nat Sherman's No.536 which is their English blend. Wow I am surprised that this isn't a blend I've heard more about. I've only smoked one bowl of it so maybe I'll see why latter. I want to smoke it in my three main pipes and not just one. But wow I love what I've tried so far. Including the room note. Though it's certainly not a blend for the latakia lover. The latakia is there but it's just a dash.

Posted 1 week ago #
  2. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There are a few of us who like the blends using latakia with a more restrained hand.

I've not yet tried the Nat Sherman stuff yet. MSO speaks highly of them and should be strafing this thread any time now...

The Dobie 4 Square series has an "English" blend that will have you questioning your tongue in searching for latakia. I found that one TOO light.

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 1 week ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

anotherbob

Login to Send PM

jaytex969 I've only had it once but it seems pretty amazing. And I am one of those people that loves latakia but prefers a milder touch to it (most of the time). Though the one problem with that blend is it makes you feel under dressed a bit, like when you forget to wear your tux to Opera.

Posted 1 week ago #
  4. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You rang? Yes, I've been commending Nat Sherman 536 for years. I "met" it at the home church Nat Sherman shop in Manhattan, where I bought a few ounces in bulk with the guidance of Cliff Gold, lead sales associate. It's an American/English, that is has burley in the blend, which is guaranteed to appeal to me. But more, it is a lovely and refined English blend, mild to medium but fully tasty and complex, to my taste. I highly recommend it, and have an unopened tin on hand to prove it. The Nat Sherman shop has a conversation area where the cigar smokers where convened, but I found a nice rocker by the door to the humidor and settled in with my hand-carved Jerry Perry bent billiard, orange stain with orange stem. It was a fine time with a fine blend.

Posted 1 week ago #
  5. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I know there are 2 or 3 other blends that I've noted the lighter bit of latakia in, but I can't, for the life of me today, recall the names.

You know what they say. The mind is the 2nd thing to go...

Posted 1 week ago #
  6. craiginthecorn

craiginthecorn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

536 was a surprise for me. I bought a Castello last year at the Nat Sherman Townhouse in Manhattan and asked the manager if it came with a sample of their tobacco. He initially said no, then relented and asked which of their bulk blends I might like. All the others were aromatic, so I said 536. I didn’t expect much, especially since I dont smoke English blends very much. I sat down and loaded up my new silver-banded Dublin Sea Rock and really enjoyed it. I ended up bringing home 8 ounces of it. It’s a light English bordering on a crossover.

Posted 1 week ago #
  7. retrogrouch

retrogrouch

Login to Send PM

I have always felt the Sam Gawith twins, Squadron Leader and Skiff, fall into that light English category. To some that may be blasphemy.

Posted 1 week ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

anotherbob

Login to Send PM

glad I am not the only one that thinks this one is great. Still need a few more times before I can comment fully. I think it's cased in the good life.

Posted 6 days ago #
  9. lawdawg

lawdawg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thank you for the recommendation. I love well-balanced latakia blends where the latakia is obvious but not overwhelming. I added a tin of 536 to my SP shopping cart for my next order.

Posted 6 days ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

anotherbob

Login to Send PM

The latakia is there, it just doesn't beat you over the head.

Posted 5 days ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jaytex969, admin