PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

klause

So, once again, I'm blessed by the Gods of the pipe.
I'd thrown on a bid just for kicks, but didn't expect to be within a million miles of this by the time bidding finished. I was dreaming. These old Pete's are probably some of the finest smoking pipes known to man, or woman, and pretty much impossible to resist. Also, the whole Peterson mythology adds to the experience - who walked the streets of Dublin enjoying this pipe? Well, it'll be me now!!! The email arrived into the inbox, and I paid instantly, without thinking. Then, sat back, and smiled broadly - a tin and a half of Toby, at English prices, is what this marvel set me back. Couldn't fathom it. Still can't. How do these get passed up so easily? I expected all the pipe smoking world to be jumping on this like a fungus.
It arrived in my post box last week, and I set to on Friday evening, finishing off on Saturday afternoon. It took a bit of cleaning internally - as it was quite bunged up with tar. In fact I eventually decided to take ever increasing sizes of drill bit to the shank to unclog it, as the alcohol soaked cleaners were getting me nowhere. By the time I finished it had gone from no draw to wide open. (No wood was damaged in the reawakening of this pipe!). The stem was equally bunged, but easily sorted, and the fairly heavy oxidation removed and polished up nicely. The bowl had a lovely even cake, now consigned to the compost heap, to reveal a perfect piece of wood. The rim was darkened, but not charred or knocked. And externally it just needed a clean and wax. It was then set on the mantle to let the alcohol dry out, while I pondered and admired it. The previous owner had loved this pipe, treating it tenderly.
jason-pipe-27-oct.jpg

jason-pipe3-27-oct.jpg

The plan had been to spend Sunday in the greenhouse with this beauty, but life had other plans. Besides, I didn't know what to smoke in it. I only have HH Latakia Flake open just now, but that wasn't for this lovely. So, today I rummaged the sock draw where the stash is kept, and Bingo, there it was. My last Warrior plug. Warrior for an Old Warrior. What could be better? This plug had over a year and a half of ageing, so, a special plug for a special pipe.
jason-pipe2-27-oct.jpg

So, I sat, I smoked, I admired, I contemplated, I smiled broadly. Who owned this pipe? Was it bought to welcome home a warrior at the end of hostilities? Bought by a warrior to celebrate the end of hostilities? A celebration at surviving the war to end all wars? Or, simply to smoke, to replace a long battered predecessor? Who knows? 1918 was a special year, an important year, the end of an era, the dawn of another, the birth of a pipe, the beginning of a story. And, today, a new chapter in the story, involving, me, a Pete, the tomatoes and spiders in the greenhouse.
A final note: if you've never had the pleasure of smoking Warrior, you should. If you have, try ageing it - it takes a wondrous smoke and makes it sublime. Or, maybe, that was the very special Peterson I smoked it in that elevated it. If you see an old Pete, looking for a home, offering itself cheaply, don't hesitate - you will not regret it.

Reactions: milk

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Very nice, I have to agree, the older, pre-Republic pipes are special. The pipe looks to be in excellent condition. Well done!
Dave

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Congrats. I don't know who Toby is or what he costs, but that's a cool looking pipe. Murray's Warrior Plug? Perfect.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Great score! I love hearing stories like this, as I find old pipes so very interesting. I do the same thing as I sit smoking an old pipe. Thinking about who enjoyed this pipe before me, what did they smoke in it. I have two pre-republic pipes, and they are nice smokers for sure.
Oh, and a great knife for slicing plug, Opinel's have great blades, are inexpensive, and are light and comfortable to hold.
Haven't had the pleasure of smoking that plug yet...

K

klause

Thanks, Gents.
To paraphrase a recent conversation with friends:
"These old Pete's are just beautiful and a million miles away from the modern line of collectors series. They smoke like they were fashioned in smoke nirvana. In a way, they were.
Pete's, old Pete's, hold a special place in my heart. They take me back to childhood and an old fella I knew, long dead, who sat rubbing out his plug in badger claw hands, before loading his Pete and setting flame. His hands were oily from rubbing out his tobacco.
To me, the old Pete's are THE quintessential pipe. When I think of 'pipe' it's invariably a Pete and an old boy pushing a bike........."
Orley, those knives are amazing - I've had that one for 26 yrs now - it's my everyday pocket knife. My other Opinels, bigger, are for Sunday best ;-)

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm also fan of pre-Republic Petersons and the way they smoke. If only they could talk, but the mysteries are locked in the briar and rubber.

K

klause

Pylorns, that's the exact date - silver hallmark is for 1918.

May 31, 2012
I always look forward to your posts because I know I'll be in for a literary treat, and you continue in very fine form here - love the way you've wrote this up!
And Good God Almighty what an intense pipe!
I really dig the shape, and again that patina, the patina is just killer.
Seeing these old pipes recently has kicked my ass, I'm starting to fall for them, they just look so damn good, and I'm supposed to not like smooth pipes all that much (...or so I keep trying to tell myself!), gimme a gnarly sandblast LOL but the aged briar carries as just as much strong character as any craggy old blast'd relic.
Congrats on the great find,

perhaps it found you?
I'm sure you'll make it happy, especially if you keep feeding it Warrior Plug!
WP is among my alltime favorites and I couldn't live without it!
Enjoy your new pipe well,

and may many more chapters be written!

:puffy:

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
Very beautiful find Klause. It's nice to see something that precious go to someone that will truly cherish it.

Status
Not open for further replies.