PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

colcolt

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
I ran across a Winslow hand cut, freehand bent pipe that had a "pre-carbonized layer". What does that mean and should it be removed before smoking?

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
I've also bought pipes that were pre carbonized, I didn't remove it. I believe It's just for easier cake build
Pre-Carbonized (Pipe)

A finish applied to the Briar Bowl Chamber which intends to mimic the effects of Carbonization.
From www.tobacconistuniversity.org

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
The fellow that's selling it indicated he would remove it if you wanted so, I was wondering whether it should or not be removed. I hadn't ran across that before. Seems like a fair idea to me.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
My understanding is a lot of new pipes have that; I looked at a Sav at the B&M last week that had one. The Grabow I started with had one and it started to build a cake within a week. As it was explained to me, it's to help protect the blow and speed break in/cake buildup. I've read that some think the cake that forms on it isn't very strong though so I imagine that as with most things pipe related YMMV.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
Yep, it's new. I hadn't run up on that term before and didn't know. I'm just looking at it-not sure about a purchase yet.(famous last words)

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
If I decide to get it I'll leave it be. Now, if I can just remember where I saw it!! I've been looking at too many different places and didn't snag the URL.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
It's not the crown. I have one of those. I'm still trying to find where I saw it.
OK-I found it. Reading further, I don't like the idea of the filter adapter.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/P-WINSLOW-HANDCUT-D-FREEHAND-BENT-pipe-w-OVAL-BOWL-NEW-incl-Leather-Pouch-/280888460397?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item416641c46d

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Peterson of Dublin typically pre-carbonizes most, if not all, of their pipes. I like it. The pre-carbonized bowl tends to break in faster and doesn't have as strange a taste as bare briar.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
Trying to remember...seems like my Peterson 307 was pre-carbonized now that I think about it but can't recall for sure.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
It just hit me. Is it ok to link something on ebay? I can't recall.

kabong30

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2012
All the new Petes I've purchased were pre-carbed. That's 3 system standards and the premier my wife got me.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I went as high as 275.00 on that pipe and he would only go down to 350.00. It is a great looking pipe that should be an awesome smoker. Good luck in getting a deal from him. He just relisted it after being on there for 28 days. Maybe he will go lower now.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
I've got a hangup about the filter adapter thingy...may bypass it. I bid on a real nice 2 star Ferndown moments ago but someone bid a little higher. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.