PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

punkrockarmy

Might Stick Around
Jan 13, 2013
Hey guys and gals. My uncle found out that I started pipe smoking and told me that he's sending me three brand new briar pipes (he didn't tell me the brand) with pre-carb in the bowls. He told me that before I smoke them for the first time to put a cotton ball or two inside the bowl and use a medicine dropper to add some high proof alcohol and let that soak overnight. He also told me after I do that and allow them to dry for another day, I should smear a minute amount of honey in the bowl to help with the formation of a good cake. My first and only pipe I have so far is a pre-carbed basket pipe that my local B&M put a small amount of honey into which has helped with the acceleration of cake in my opinion. At first it tasted like pure ash and burning plastic but I assume it was just the pre-carb giving off that odd taste.

Now to my question.... Will a cotton ball soaked in alcohol overnight help get rid of or diminish the weird taste for the first couple smokes in my new pipes I shall be obtaining shortly?

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Depends on what the pre-carb is made of. I would just roll up some 150 grit paper and sand it out if you want it gone. Or just light up and smoke it - most of the pre-carbs don't taste like much of anything.

sebastian

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2013
I agree with sasquatch. If you want it to dissappear, just sand it out. Be careful not to sand the rim of your new pipe though.

punkrockarmy

Might Stick Around
Jan 13, 2013
I'm sort of torn on sanding out the carbon coating since I don't want to screw up a pipe if I sand too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.