PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

adam12

Part of the Furniture Now
May 16, 2011
Last month I was on a business trip to Jackson, Mississippi, which is a cool town if you like massive thunderstorms and insane heat that makes the current drought and heat wave seem tame by comparison (no joke). I checked out this great tobacco and cigar shop called The Country Squire which had an impressive collection of in-stock pipes (Savinellis, Petersons, and quite a few estates) as well as a decent selection of cigars. The shop owner was a sweet older lady who took great care to explain the history of the shop, all the wonderful signs and so on inside, and the fact that she had remained in business for many years. While I was there, I also met a few of her assistants and there was a steady stream of stop-in traffic. It looked like a real neat place and I put my name on their mailing list because I plan on going back for work trips periodically and it will be my must-visit B&M in that town.
Well, today I got the following email:
Dear Friends of The Country Squire,
We have some very sad news to share with you today. On Sunday, Mrs. Gwen Reeves had a very bad fall and knocked her head very hard. Initially we thought she might be ok, but it soon became clear that something was terribly wrong. Miss Gwen is now in a coma and the next day or two is very critical for her. Unfortunately, however, due to the head trauma, it is very unlikely under any scenario that she will ever recover full function of her brain. We are very saddened and grieved by this sudden tragedy, and we ask that you keep Mrs. Reeves and her family in your prayers.
Miss Gwen and The Country Squire have been Jackson fixtures for 42 years, as her and her husband Jim founded the shop in 1970. Mrs. Reeves has run the shop with the help of her daughters and grandchildren since her husband died in 1981. She has been a great friend and encouragement to generations of pipe and cigar smokers, and has built a legacy of service and love. As a strong Believer, Miss Gwen would often come in the shop and tell me, “I asked the Almighty Father this morning to use us as a channel of blessing for everyone who comes in this shop.” I think you would agree that the Lord answered those prayers. Miss Gwen has been a special part of our community for years, and we are so thankful for her dedicated and loving service.
Mrs. Reeves family would like our customers to know that The Country Squire will maintain regular business hours and services through this difficult season. As Miss Gwen would want, we will be here to serve you in the days and months to come and will carry on Mr. and Mrs. Reeves' legacy into the future. We hope you come visit us at the shop soon and stay in touch with our community and family.
Thank you for your years of loyalty to The Country Squire. We know you will join us in celebrating the legacy of a woman who touched so many of us in powerful ways. And thanks for keeping Mrs. Gwen Reeves and her family in your prayers.
Jon David Cole and The Country Squire Family
Needless to say I was really disappointed because this woman was an amazing person, she had that Southern charm that is unmistakeably unique and welcoming. This was not just any ordinary person.
So I wanted to post this in the event you are a person of faith, as I am, please pray for her recovery and her family.
And if you are up to make a tobacco purchase across the miles, or if you are in the area, please patronize them. Mr. Cole (her assistant and the author of the email) does alot of online sales, but they also do quite a bit of mail orders regionally. Please consider patronizing them, even if it's just for a pouch or tin of something, and pay it forward.
http://www.thecountrysquireonline.com/

adam12

May 16, 2011
Yeah it really is a diamond in the rough. I honestly was pretty surprised that there was such a cool place in Jackson, considering it's not that big of a city really. But there is a small area to CHILL and a decent humidor. And their pipe selection was pretty amazing, they had quite a few Rattrays and GBD's as well. Usually in a cigar shop, you won't find such a good pipe selection.

kabong30

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2012
Thoughts and prayers! Is there anyway that we can do more to help out?
Update: Putting in an order for some Summertime 2011!

adam12

May 16, 2011
Is there anyway that we can do more to help out?
I am not sure if they have a fund set up for her, I didn't call to find out. But I figured I would do a nice gesture and buy something from them. I am due to go down there in a few weeks so I'll update the thread when I do.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Wow! Sad but amazing story. Thanks for sharing. Best wishes for the family and company.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Prayers for the Reeves and Cole family's patience and strength as they deal with the difficult situation. Also praying for wisdom for the medical staff and a speedy recovery for Gwen.
They do have a Savinelli I'm interested in but I didn't see an on-line shopping cart. I'll give them a buzz.

adam12

May 16, 2011
I just received the following email:
Dear Friends,
It is with a heavy heart that I write to tell you that our friend Mrs. Gwen Reeves passed away yesterday, Friday, August 3, 2012. A lady of grace and faith, Mrs. Reeves leaves behind a legacy of love and community as evidenced by her wonderful family and all of you who are a part of our Country Squire community. We deeply and sincerely appreciate your thoughts and prayers for Mrs Reeves over the past few days and now for her family, as they navigate this very difficult time.
Memorial Services for Mrs. Reeves will be held on Monday, August 6, at Wright & Ferguson Funeral Home in Ridgeland, Mississippi, on Highland Colony Parkway. A visitation will be held there from 10:00am-11:30am, followed by a graveside funeral at 11:30am.
Please join us in celebrating the life of Mrs. Gwen Reeves. Her special charm, sophistication, grace, humor, and love, have marked all of us who are regulars at The Country Squire. Jackson was a better place with her--all of us were better with her--and we will greatly miss her in the months and years to come.
The Country Squire Family
May you rest in peace Miss Gwen. And than you for being so friendly to me when I came into your store last month. Godspeed

Status
Not open for further replies.