Praise For "House Blends"

(13 posts)
  • Started 6 months ago by markthelad
  • Latest reply from Panhandler
  1. markthelad

markthelad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I recently started having some fun ordering a few (non-latakia) house blends to sample, from places like The Country Squire Tobacconist and Watch City Cigar.
    I have tried blends from Cup 'O Joes and 4 Noggins in the past and have been pretty happy with some of those too.

I must say, they are all very good and I definitely have developed some favorites like "Kingsfoil", "Delta Honeydew" and "Fleur De Lis" (no longer offered) from Country Squire.

I am anxiously awaiting a shipment from Watch City Cigar that contains "Old Dominion" and "Flake 558" to sample.
    I have some of their Watch City Slices in my cellar and it is also very good (even though it contains latakia).

Can anyone recommend any other any other non-latakia house blends to try, preferably something that I can order on-line or at least by phone?
    Thanks for your input!

"I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself."
    Johnny Carson
    Posted 6 months ago #
  2. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Whenever I travel I try to hit any local B&Ms and ask about their blending. If it seems legitimately blended in house, even if from component tobaccos from the big guys, I sample some. It makes travel fun. Some naysayers poo poo all house blends, but that is their choice. A lot of the Scottie's and H&H blends on P&C began as house blends here in Albany, NY at the tobacco shop where Russ worked. Unfortunately, all of my favorites are pretty heavy latakia.

Posted 6 months ago #
  3. timt

timt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't have any recommendations and am looking forward to some responses too. I will say that your order from Watch City for Old Dominion and 558 is one I'm planning on doing again. Those two blends are fantastic if you ask me. I really like the crumble flake style.

Tim
    Posted 6 months ago #
  4. markthelad

markthelad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

timt, that's good to hear.
    I wish I could have gotten in on the "4th Nun" holiday blends, but I missed them.
    They said on their website that they may start offering it again more regularly, I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

Posted 6 months ago #
  5. rdavid

Panhandler

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Peretti, Boswell and Wilke come to mind but unsure of Lat free blends.

"May my last breath be drawn through a pipe, and exhaled in a jest." Charles Lamb
    Posted 6 months ago #
  6. wbradk

wbradk

Login to Send PM

I really like Country Squire's SECOND BREAKFAST. All in all, I have been very impressed with all of their offerings.

Posted 6 months ago #
  7. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like Peretti, and Nat Sherman blends some good ones, especially their Am-English 536, mild but nuanced and refined.

Posted 6 months ago #
  8. markthelad

markthelad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks rdavid, I just placed an order with Peretti for a few 1 oz. samples and I wouldn't be surprised if I found a couple of new favorites.

Posted 6 months ago #
  9. renfield

renfield

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Country Squire’s Bag End and Cherokee are mild, easy enjoyable smokes.

Watch City’s Deluxe Crumb is excellent.

Posted 6 months ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

briarbuda48

Login to Send PM

Here you are.

Watch City Cigar; Quint’s Own, 558, Old Black Magic
    The Country Squire; Green Dragon is my favorite
    Ted’s Pipe Shoppe (Tulsa Ok); County Cork, Killarney
    Oxmore in Louisville, KY; Holy Smoke
    Uhle’s; Black Stoker, Blend 00
    Milan; Sunset Rum, Reflections
    Boswell’s; Pennsylvania Dutch Treat and Pipers Pleasure

Posted 6 months ago #
  11. drrock

drrock

Login to Send PM

Big fan of smaller B&M blenders. Since you asked for some recommendations, here are some I think are terrific:

4Noggins.com - Essence of Vermont & Three Blind Moose

Boswell - Christmas Cookie, No Bite DeLite, Piper's Pleasure, & Rum River

L.J. Peretti - Blend No. 432, Coffee, Cuban Mixture, Ebony, Park Square, & Yuletide 2018

Milan Tobacconists - "Our" London Dock, Doctor's Orders, Jefferson Street, Reflections, Sunset Rum, & Wall Street

Straus Tobacconist - Rookwood, Sleepy Hollow, & Wenceslas

Uhle's - Blend 00, House of Uhle Blend, Hunt Club, Karen Club, Marquette Blend, Old Shoe Blend, Par Shooter, Perfection Plug Burley, & Raider Blend

Wilke Pipe Tobacco - #191 Honey Vanilla & Vermont Maple Cavendish

Posted 6 months ago #
  12. rogerrodger

rogerrodger

Login to Send PM

Arrowhead House Blend from Paul's Pipe Shop in Flint Michigan. This is the only aromatic I'm smoking right now. It has a touch of latakia and perique and a light vanilla flavoring. Wonderful.

Paul's Pipe Shop doesn't sell tobacco over the internet. You have to call to order. The shop also makes their own line of quality pipes.

Posted 6 months ago #
  13. rdavid

Panhandler

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks rdavid, I just placed an order with Peretti for a few 1 oz. samples and I wouldn't be surprised if I found a couple of new favorites.

That's exactly what I did and everything I tried was fantastic. Lifelong customer for sure. Enjoy.

Formerly "rdavid"

Posted 6 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   paulfg, nunnster, lightxmyfire, ben88, pipestud, troyniss, sasquatch, ashdigger, hugodrax, pappymac, nhhiggy