PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
I (fairly) recently posted a tongue-in-cheek review of Stonehenge flake titleing it my "Favorite disappointment." In truth, it's become one of my daily smokes and truly a favorite. I was lamenting the absence of the floral "Lakeland" flavor I enjoy so much (I'v'e discovered it's there if I don't dry the baccy out so much) but extolled it's other virtues. Over the years, I've enjoyed most of Greg's blends and have always considered him a blending genius. I recently read that he has has decided to pursue other interests in the face of the new FDA guidelines/rules. I just wanted to say that I think we have lost one of the greats. I'm definitely among the GLP "fanboy" contingent and will greatly miss his contribution to our "Golden age of tobacco."

Just wanted to thank Greg for all the great tobaccos and hours of enjoyment he's provided. I know he's not an active member these days, but this forum is the only venue I know of to give a blender props.

Thank you, Greg.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Does that mean GLP blends are gone? Or he's out of the blending more in the face of tyranny from the Fourth Column? I don't blame him. I don't want to hang any philosophies or any ideologies on the man Pease. But I applaud his step away. I wish some of the bigger boys would step away also. The world needs to know that they are killing the Rugged individual. As the greats walk away, society will fall deeper into the cow herd abyss.
Yes! Thank You Mr Pease, you bring a relaxed happiness into my life because of your talent. I'm glad I can say I experienced it. A wonderful story to tell my grandchildren.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Hold on.
I've known Greg for a long time and last talked to him less than 24 hrs ago.
NOTHING about quitting or retiring was mentioned by him in any way at any time.
He's been pointed to this thread and will doubtless respond himself asap.
In the meantime, please don't feed/start rumors. :D
Thanx

alan73

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
He is walking away? Hmm.
Cornell and Diehl is the contract manufacturer for his blends . I would think that would continue, as long as it was all profitable.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
That's great news. Glad someone came in and stop the thread from going rumor crazy. Close it down....close it down. :rofl:

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
I think we should give George 50 lashes for injecting world-veridical facts into a pipe forum.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
First off, and most importantly, I second the "thank you" to Greg, as he's produced many fine blends, some of which are my all time favorites. I asked him about his plans at the 2016 WCPS, and he's got a new venture going, but that doesn't mean that his tobaccos are going anywhere, with the exception of those that will be put out of production by the Deeming Rules. But as he can't introduce new blends into the marketplace he's finding a different direction for his creativity.

Jul 12, 2011
Glad to hear it was rumor...as for the fleet of CAT 797B dump trucks of GLP's JackKnife Plug and Triple Play I just ordered, hmmm.
cat797b.jpg

glpease

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 17, 2010
California
Umm...
No.
Rumours of my demise, real or virtual, may be somewhat exaggerated, to say the least. Certainly, it's a little disheartening to have something I've worked to build for almost 20 years suddenly hamstrung by a load of BBS (bureaucratic bull$hit), resulting in some of my enthusiasm going missing for a while, but the game isn't over, and neither am I.
I am not leaving the business. I am not going away. I AM working on some other projects, yes. The writing is on the wall, and unless things change dramatically, the FDA regulations have, and will continue to make it all but impossible for me to develop new blends and bring them to market. I still play in the "lab" experimenting with things, but sadly, these will not likely find their way to the shelves.
So, as creative people will do, I'm focussing some of my sleepless attention on a couple other things, in the hopes that I'll be able to develop one or more of them and still have "work" to do should the pipe tobacco market collapse under the oppressive weight of the FDA's ludicrously fat bureaucracy, leaving me without a source of income.
The fight isn't out of me yet with respect to pipes and tobacco, of course. I do have some plans there, too, but I can't say more about it at this time. Suffice to say that I am still very much involved, and have no immediate plans to change that.
All that aside, it's wonderful to know I'm so loved by anyone besides my dog. ;)
I'm G.L. Pease, and I approve this message.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I'm glad some informed people are adding to the suspense, I mean, discussion. I couldn't find any articles or info when I scouted the old internet. So I figured it's inside Info or rumor.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Thanks to posts on the thread, especially from GLP, clarifying the situation. Here's hoping the deeming regs develop into less than meets the eye.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I'm very glad that Mr. Pease is and isn't going away. He has seemed to me to push himself to do something he hasn't done before. Aside from Haddos and Barbary Coast, I don't believe he made another aromatic before Navigator, Sixpence, The Virginia Cream and Stonehenge, so that's 6/79 tobaccos on smokingpipes, showing a decided preference for natural tobacco. But then making a few in the last few years.
Now and then I've brought ideas too him about what I'd like him to do; sadly, none produced, often with the retort "That's no fun!"

Despite the misinformation about Mr. Pease’s plans, Macky did seem to intend his post to be a big “Thank you” to the man, the artist, and ledgend. I’m sure Mr. Pease would have given you a “you’re welcome” or something if not for people getting all hung up. I’m smoking my firrst bowl in almost a week of being sick, and Stonehenge was what I chose also. It took me a little to get aquainted with it, but I always trust that all GLP blends are going to eventually meet my expectations. I’ve also spent many hours reading Mr. Pease’s thoughts on pipes and tobaccos, and... I guess I fit into the fanboy category. Unless “fanboy” means something weird that I am not aware of. I think Georged asking him to come here was a bit over the top, but it is always an honor to have him respond to us on the forum. But, sometimes on one of my Haddos Delight binges I get the overwhelming desire to shout out a big “Thank you!” also.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Mephisto introduced me to Greg's talent several years ago. He's brought an A game to my cellar. :clap:

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I’m extremely grateful to Greg for all of his contributions to tobacco blending, his blends are well represented in mine and many, many other pipe smokers cellars. Hopefully, but not likely, the Deeming regs. will be repealed and all can go back to normal! However, I too see the writing on the wall and wish Greg success in any endeavors he may persue.

Status
Not open for further replies.