PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mctygart

Lurker
May 30, 2013
Let me begin by saying that I'm new to the world of smoking pipes. I am very curious about all aspects though. I friend introduced me to it and like a moth to flame, I dove in.
Awhile back I pick up a lot of estate pipes on eBay. My plan was to introduce a few friends from my home town when I visited. So buying a few estate pipes in what ever condition seemed like a decent way to let us all smoke at once. The plan worked great other then having to relight their pipes every few minutes.
Now I'm left with an assortment of pipes. None look like they will every be worth much but they may serve as good practice for restoring. Even if they never turn out perfect whats the harm in making your mistakes on these pipes?
My first victim in the attempt to resurrect the fallen is a Yellow-Bole. (I'll upload some detailed pictures later)

But be warned that at first glance, at least in my opinion it seems helpless but like I keep saying, what's the harm?
FIrst real question here is. How do I go about sanding down the outside?

There seems to be no deep dents, just worn of finish.
Second. What about reaming the bowl?

This is the part that worries me. It looks terrible, I don't know if its heavy cake or what. I have never een a pipes with heavy and I'm not sure I could describe cake to anyone. Remember I'm still new?
Third, and least important. How, if possible, do I shine up the stem?

I have seen a few other pages about this that I plan to check out but I'm throwing it out there anyway.
Thank you for taking the time to read this! I would appreciate any feed back. I plan to keep posting pictures to keep those interested up to speed.
Once again thank you!
Mctygart.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Welcome to the forums mctygart. I can't help much with these questions, but I did sand down a pipe once and restained. It came out quite nice. I just used a extra fine sandpaper (used blue painters tape to protect the silver band) and once the old stain was removed, I polished it using micromesh (I don't have any equipment like a buffer).
Be careful not to over sand where any stampings are.
Very simple and worked out fine. When staining, I used only a small amount and wiped off the excess fairly quickly.
I am sure others here will have better advice for you. Also, try using Google for advice, it will find many articles and videos on this forum (works better than the search function here).
Good luck.

blade

Lurker
Jan 25, 2010
Welcome to the forums.
1. Don't know. I've never sanded my bowls.

2. Buy a reamer. Ebay's got plenty, maybe a B&M in your area. I've got several kinds of reamers, don't know the names off the top of my head. It's probably heavy cake, I've seen pipes that looked like they were never reamed.

3. Shining up the stem: read the pages. There's a wealth of info here and some many different ways.
Once again, welcome and have fun.
AJ

mctygart

Lurker
May 30, 2013
Well the hours i have spent since first posting having been spent with the pipe I spoke of. It has been a journey so to speak.

The sanding started out fine the old finish was coming of nicely but I wasn't sure I was really getting deep enough to show of any grain the wood might have. Growing up with a carpenter for a father, I always wanted to sand a little deep to find the beauty. Well that thought mixed with carless ambition led to my grabbing the Dremel and a sanding wheel. LESSON ONE! I learned very quickly how deep that Dremel would take me.

In hopes of making the best of a bad situation. I decided if i can't put it back, the rest must come off. So much of the last two hours was spent smoothing it out. Eventually I was back with sand paper in hand to bring me back where I had been. But it wasn't long before I was back a it with the Dremel, this time with a polishing wheel. All was going great! It brought out this dark rich redish brown. But then I slipped and pressed just a bit to hard. Leaving a little black burn mark in the wood. Once again resorting to my previous thinking. I began to randomly place these black marks. I have seen pipes with this sort of finish but It hadn't been my intention to purse this look.

After that I began a string of polishing then sanding, polishing then sanding, so on and so forth.
My next step is to find an actual finish and apply it. Of course this will be after i bore it out.
I know i keep promising pictures but I havent taken them off my camera yet.

mctygart

Lurker
May 30, 2013
Well the hours i have spent since first posting having been spent with the pipe I spoke of. It has been a journey so to speak.

The sanding started out fine the old finish was coming of nicely but I wasn't sure I was really getting deep enough to show of any grain the wood might have. Growing up with a carpenter for a father, I always wanted to sand a little deep to find the beauty. Well that thought mixed with carless ambition led to my grabbing the Dremel and a sanding wheel. LESSON ONE! I learned very quickly how deep that Dremel would take me.

In hopes of making the best of a bad situation. I decided if i can't put it back, the rest must come off. So much of the last two hours was spent smoothing it out. Eventually I was back with sand paper in hand to bring me back where I had been. But it wasn't long before I was back a it with the Dremel, this time with a polishing wheel. All was going great! It brought out this dark rich redish brown. But then I slipped and pressed just a bit to hard. Leaving a little black burn mark in the wood. Once again resorting to my previous thinking. I began to randomly place these black marks. I have seen pipes with this sort of finish but It hadn't been my intention to purse this look.

After that I began a string of polishing then sanding, polishing then sanding, so on and so forth.
My next step is to find an actual finish and apply it. Of course this will be after i bore it out.
I know i keep promising pictures but I havent taken them off my camera yet.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Reading everything here for a lifetime of tips and techniques, equipment from Steve Laug:

http://rebornpipes.wordpress.com/about/
As you learned, a Dremel is a tough tool to use one a pipe, it's simply too fast and wheels too small. You'd be better off with some wheels on a hand drill.
FWIW, I don't do much sanding of bowls, typically just strip the finish and restain. Dents are taken out with steam.
I have a few restorations on that blog, under Upshallfan. Good luck and keep asking questions!

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
I use a Dremel most times on all my pipe restoring.
1000-1200 grit sandpaper will remove the original finish while still leaving a clean smooth surface.
I have a pipe reamer for removing all that cake buildup.
http://www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/pipe-supplies/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=4392
Search the forums here for this topic on restoring estate pipes. It's great fun!

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Do a salt and alcohol treatmet to remove any ghosts and get it tasting like new. If the inside of the bowl doesn't look even and uniform, then it probably needs a reaming. You want about the thickness of a dime of cake buildup. You don't have to ream the cake off to do a salt and alcohol treatment. Stem odixation can be done either through heat or soaking in a mixture of bleach and water or oxiclean, several different options and then sanding it, then apply some stem polish or you can use vegetable oil even. Post some pics about the inside of the bowl and it should help with whether or not a reaming is necessary, but then I'd recommend only doing it with a reamer. I just reamed my first pipe, I couldn't even fit a tamper down the bowl, it smoked great though from all that cake buildup.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Honestly I don't use a reamer. I use cotton balls and alcohol to soften the cake. Then I use a DULL old pocketknife to trim out the soft cake. It's worked very well for me. If I find the pipe still needs a cleaning then I do SALT and alcohol. In my limited experience salt works better then the cotton balls.
I'm not anti reamer, I've just never bought one yet and honestly most pipes I restore are pretty beat anyway. I have a thing for ugly puppies I guess.
On sanding...I sand nearly every pipe I restore (they tend to be beat up). It just feels good to take back down to wood. I haven't restained any in awhile. I like natural-ish pipes, they feel good in my hand. A lot of the time the grain holds some of the darker stain anyway and it looks good after the sanding.
Ditto on the link from Al.
And welcome aboard! Post some pics!

mctygart

Lurker
May 30, 2013
Here are some before and after shots of the yellow-bole and one of the bowl it self.
Note that it is not finished yet!
image9-600x600.jpg

image8-400x600.jpg

image6-600x600.jpg

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
You're getting there,although I can't say I like the black marks. I'd sand it with 800 and then buff with some white diamond. There's a ton of wheels available for the Dremel. You need several as each wheel should be used only for one compound or wax. Paragon and Halcyon waxes are quicker and easier than applying carnuba and-IMO- give just as nice a shine if applied correctly. Here's a little blurb I did over at the DGCF about refinishing pipes you might check out http://drgrabows.myfreeforum.org/about1644.html

Status
Not open for further replies.