PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2014
After all this talk of cobs, I've been getting the itch, but I already have a pipe for most situations and I don't like having redundant pipes. The McArthur, however, is quite unique (and it's nearly a Churchwarden).

The idea of sitting down on a sunny afternoon and smoking a single bowl for the entire afternoon does sound appealing, but I've never read about anyone actually doing it, so there's no way to tell if it doesn't have some horrible pitfall (maybe a pipe goes sour after two or three hours? Maybe it starts to gurgle every five minutes?).
If anyone has actually taken the McArthur Plunge, please do share your experiences here.

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
I only smoke mine a couple times a year but I do like mine. My advice is be selective about the tobacco you choose and find a tamper that is long enough to fit it. The bowls are conical, so they hold less than you think.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I have one. Never smoked it for the same reasons. It would hold a lot and am I committed to such a long smoke? I have entertained the idea of cutting it down to a usable churchwarden.

hippiebrian

Lurker
Jul 1, 2014
Try a General instead. It's a nice 2 hour smoke. Put a church warden forever stem on it if that floats your boat!

Mar 1, 2014
Thanks for the responses guys.

Sounds like it's a good time in general, since I regularly use Churchwardens an unclenchable pipe is status quo.

My MacArthur is on the way (well, two, one natural and one polished. When shipping costs as much as the pipe it's hard to get just one, and now I can do the usual aromatic/Latakia split).

It was tempting to get the second in the shallow bowl style, but the point here is to have the large bowl, it'll be interesting figuring out how to pack it right. Actually my usual method of just making a plug for the top of the bowl might work even better with something this deep.
(If the Mods can fix the title to the correct spelling of "MacArthur" that would be great)

Mar 1, 2014
Sounds good, I've marked my calendar.
After watching a half hour documentary this afternoon, that line from MacArthur is just epic.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Been meaning to get one just to hang it. Great American. Easy to demonize aggressive generals, but looking back at what he said about China, you have to give him credit. Most people do not understand that Mac sat up Japan's recovery mechanisms after WWII. Harry had as big an ego as Mac did! You just can't beat the boss. Mac wouldn't back down from anyone, no matter the odds! :O) In my opinion, for a pipe smoker, buying a MacArthur cob is a matter of owning a piece of American History applicable to our brotherhood.
"The soldier above all others prays for peace, for it is the soldier who must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war."

Douglas MacArthur

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
A clip from the movie Emperor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4O3RKOVFMQ

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I never had a McArthur but I did own one of the Freehands and smoked the crap out of it. It had a large bowl and was a little clunky but they are made pretty well. I have seen the good General smoking everything from the trademark cob to the more traditional style cobs as well as a briar pipe or two. Only in photos of course.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's a lot of chamber, and narrow for the depth. I think it would take some careful packing, puffing, and

tamping to get the full benefit of that depth. I have a poker that gives me that capacity with a wider bore bowl,

and it works well, but requires time, whether or all at a stretch or in increments with relights. The medium bowl

cobs seem perfect to me, and if I want more, I just pack and light a different one. The medium bowl cobs often

burn the bowl down to white ash, more than most briars with most tobaccos. I'm always intrigued.

Status
Not open for further replies.