PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
How do you all store your pouch tobacco? I know a lot of us have been stocking up on certain blends that may be impossible to get in the States in the very near future. My problem is I don't know what to do with everything I have acquired. I already have at least 250 jars, so I don't want to open each pouch to put in a jar, I just don't have room for that. My wife has some food saver bags with the machine that vacuum seals them but I'm not sure if they are Mylar bags or not. Do any of you have experience with these food saver vacuum sealed bags for long term storage? I'm thinking I could just put 4 to 5 pouches in a bag and seal it. Would love to hear from those who have experience with this.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I have about 30 pouches I put in those Vacuum Freezer Bags. I only put two pouches per bag, my preference. As to the longevity, about 3 years ago I was gifted some Pelican that was sealed in a vacuum freezer storage bag. I opened it about a month ago and it was very smokable. I don't know the moisture before it was vacuum sealed, but it was perfect when I smoked it. The amount gave me 5 bowls.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I open them and jar them. Jars not being an option for you, definitely get some mylar bags.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Okay, thanks for the feedback so far. Do Mylar bags hold up better than the vacuum seal freezer bags? Anyone have a link to some good Mylar bags?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01C5LO9H6/ref=mp_s_a_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1476558735&sr=8-14&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=resealable+mylar+bags

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
I buy pouches to keep in my lunch box for work smokes, when I buy multiple pouches I keep them sorted by blend in Freezer bags, squeeze out the air and they keep just fine, embers recommendation of the mylar bags is a good one for long term storage too

beerandbaccy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 22, 2015
UK
Once open I put them in a Kilner canning jar. If I run out of room I ziplock bag then individually and store them in a click-lock tupperware container

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I buy pouches to keep in my lunch box for work smokes, when I buy multiple pouches I keep them sorted by blend in Freezer bags

I like the idea of doing it this way, as I can seal up 3-5 pouches and stack them high in a neat little pile. I'll be experimenting with that tomorrow and I'll play around with the Mylar bags Chasingembers suggested as soon as they arrive. Thanks everyone, this gives me some more ideas to play around with.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
I use MylarPro bags. 5mil thick.

If it is not strictly a Virginia then I also use an O2 absorber. After I zipper shut it I use an impulse sealer and heat seal the bag.

https://mylarpro.com/product-category/mylarpro-extreme-bags/

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
Big thumbs up for the MylarPro bags. The quart size alone will hold half a dozen pouches. The ziplock closures are vastly superior to those on ordinary bags. I have two Rubbermaid bins full of tobacco in MylarPro bags, some heat sealed and some not. Both bins do not smell of tobacco, at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.