Pipes Magazine » Pipe Smoking Basics & Beginner Questions

Tags:   

Pouch or Jar for Storage

(8 posts)
  1. zekest

zekest

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

After taking advantage of the fantastic buy 3 get 3 free deal on Captain Black Dark tobacco from Pipes and Cigars dot com, my question is:

Should I leave the tobacco in the original factory pouches, or decant all 18 pouches, all 27 ounces of it, into Mason jars for storage?

I think the pouches were designed to be able to sit on a store shelf for many years, but I still wonder...

~Zeke

Posted 6 years ago #
  2. ciderguy

ciderguy

Login to Send PM

It probably has enough PG to be fine in the pouch, but putting it in Mason jars isn't going to harm it either. What do you think of it?

I'd probably find a big jar and jar the pouches while they are still sealed.

Posted 6 years ago #
  3. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It probably has enough PG to be fine in the pouch

That stuff will never dry out!

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 6 years ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

This:

I'd probably find a big jar and jar the pouches while they are still sealed.

Sure, CBB, being an OTC aromatic, has a long shelf life and does contain a fair amount of propylene glycol. But you have 18 of those bad boys -- ambient temps and RH vary -- why take a chance?

Wal-Mart/TJ Maxx/Homegoods/Bed, Bath & Beyond, etc. all sell an assortment of glass, stainless stell or plastic containers with silicone sealing lids --I'd get a good one of those (silicone, NOT rubber) and store the unopened pouches in that.

Or, if you ask around, you can find a large, empty glass jar (food service size) if you know anyone in the food business (restaurants, school cafeterias, clubs, etc.) -- just clean it well and use that. Free.

Posted 6 years ago #
  5. zekest

zekest

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thank you ciderguy and rothnh, I never thought of "Jar Storage" for the pouches: the best of both worlds maybe.

~Zeke

Posted 6 years ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

jll346

Login to Send PM

Storage in jars seem to work the best. Lots of cheap jars at the Dollar Store, Walmart or Home Goods. Actually Mason canning glass jars work very well.

Posted 6 years ago #
  7. easterntraveler

easterntraveler

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Jars! Anything made out of plastic will break down wether you are aware of it or not much faster than glass. One of the main reasons bottled water has an experation date.

Because straight is the gate and narrow is the way which leadeth unto life and few be there that find it.
    Posted 6 years ago #
  8. gmwolford

Greg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 to jarring them all sealed in their pouches.

Greg
    Posted 6 years ago #

You must log in to post.

banner

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   sablebrush52