PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Great looking bass! I really need to get back out on the streams, I miss fly fishing. :(

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I had a fly rod with me on this trip. The fish were a little deeper and a spinning rod was what we needed. I love fly fishing for bass and blue gills. Good trout streams are about a three hour + drive.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
fish3-600x593.jpg

jay-roger.jpg

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Cruel I tell you, just cruel.....
Trout season does not open for another almost 6 weeks here. Bass season is still over 3 months away.

Npod, I went and did the two hour flyfishing lesson at Orvis last week. I learned enough to know that my favorite places to fish just won't allow me the space to fish like that. So, I am sticking to what I know.
The crappie are running down here, and this weekend, I will be (hopefully) bringing in a fish fry. I have all of the kids coming in to help bring in a mess.
I still enjoy watching fly fishers though. It is way more elegant looking than plopping a lure. But, there is an art to working a lure also. Just not as pretty to watch from the bank.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
So, I am sticking to what I know.

Wise decision. I see lots of guys get caught up (no pun) on new types of fishing and gear and forget that the fun of fishing is catching fish. And like a pipe, I also see guys with PAD/TAD chase different stuff and lose focus on what they like. As you know, I gave up the saltwater fly fishing due to my back problems and since then I refocused on home waters and now it's so much more enjoyable and I'm getting much more time on the water.

I think I may get me some waders though. There are some shoals that I would love to walk out into to bring in some bass on a spoon lure while they feed on the crawfish. Standing on the banks is always so limiting. But, I also notice that people in boats cast right up to the banks, while fishermen on the banks try to toss out as far into the river as possible, ha ha. The grass always seems greener. :puffy:

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Planning a fish fry ourselves in the next month or so. We like to jug fish, setting them out up stream, then let them float down the river towards camp and see what we catch. By the time they get down there, the short straw loses and has to go out and pick them up, then we filet them right by the already going frying pan sitting on the fire. Toss the remnants back in the river and chuck the meat chunks into the bread box and in the pan they go. Nothing like eating the freshest fish right by the river with a good campfire and ice cold beer.

dare66

Might Stick Around
Dec 24, 2018
Those are beautiful bass in those pics. The season opens up here in Pa in April.

bigtex

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2015
TX
AOaFGWG

2JckMOM.jpg

7u06Sb8.jpg

ekV4LKy.jpg

Here’s a few pics from last year. Hope fishing is better this year!

Status
Not open for further replies.