PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattmars

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2011
I'm curious as to what others' post smoke routine is as far as cleaning goes. I will run a pipe cleaner through to get rid of a majority of the moisture the try to clean the rim with a little spit polish. Then it's back in the rack. Anyone doc something less/more?

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
A lil spit and polish on the rim with a paper towel, and once around the inside of the bowl after a smoke. at the end of the week, I take all my smoked pipes out to the clubhouse for a good cleaning, then either back in the rack or in the pouch to be smoked again. I keep 4 or 5 in rotation weekly, unless it is very humid, and I will run a cleaner if they start to get all gurgly.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
Separate stem and bowl.

Wipe off outside of tenon with a bit of paper towel.

Twist that bit of paper towel up and get the inside of the tenon (if it's a filter type) and then inside the shank.

Pipe cleaner through the stem, then through the airhole into the chamber.

Double up the pipecleaner and ream out the shank and then dry ream the chamber with it.

Assemble pipe, spit shine the rim.
And then the final, most important step... contemplate the next bowl! (-;

oldmaus

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2010
I take the pipe apart and run a pipe cleaner through, wipe the end of the tenon off, and then use a q-tip

to clean the shank on the inside where the tenon pushes in. Once in awhile I run a pipe cleaner through to

the bowl.

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Set it down and go to bed, mostly. Then after its cool, I take it apart and run a pipe cleaner through it. Every 3rd bowl gets a pipe cleaner soaked in Everclear.

assaad

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2011
Take it apart once it is cool and run a pipe cleaner through the stem then wipe off the tenon with the same pipe cleaner. Then through the shank and after that bend the cleaner in half and wipe out the chamber. Put it back together and blow through it forcefully. 1 minute and 1 pipe cleaner.

mattmars

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2011
I have been trying to use whiskey on my pipe cleaners once a week, but unfortunately I end up drinking it before I can use it on my pipe. I still have to see if they sell Everclear here in Georgia. All in all, it seems that I'm doing what most others do. Great information abounds here!

deleon

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 7, 2011
Texas
After i finish smoking I let the pipe cool for a few minutes, separate the stem from the pipe run a pipe cleaner dry first then another with some rum 151. Same for the pipe. Last thing I do is take a soft cloth and polish the stem and the outside of the bowl to remove any smudges.

riptide

Jul 27, 2010
Colorado
I let the bowl cool then run a pipe cleaner through it soaked in Everclear.

then I pull it apart ind clean the shank with Everclear.

Last I clean the rim with a Q-tip soaked in spit to clean of the tar and to keep build up from happening.

And about i a week I polish with bees wax.

withnail

Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
I run a pipe cleaner through the stem & shank until just short of the bowl and bend the end sticking out of the mouth piece into a little handle. Rotate the pipe cleaner a good number of times and keep turning it as I slowly remove the pipe cleaner. Repeat and leave pipe to stand. Once it is cool, empty out any remaining ash and run a piece of paper towel round the bowl. Once every couple of weeks I give all my pipes a real good clean and polish.

Jul 15, 2011
Filter pipe-Remove stem, run cleaner through stem. Double over stem and swab inside the filter chamber. Another cleaner goes into the shank, then turn it around and do the shank again, then double over and ream the bigger opening in the tenon. A third cleaner goes into the shank again, then gets doubled over and swabbed inside the bowl.
Non-filter pipe-Three cleaners go through the stem and all the way into the bowl, then all three cleaners get doubled over and swab inside the bowl to get all the loose tobacco and ash out.

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
Stem and shank: Pipe cleaner dipped in rum, second to dry it.

Bowk: Paper towel dipped in rum, second to dry it.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
I've yet to really cake up a pipe over a lot of extended use.
But the pear wood sitter I mostly smoke lately, I've been doing the following with:
Blow the condensation build up out of the stem, and use a q-tip inside the shank end of the stem (gently so as not leave any cotton fibers behind).
Disposable pipe cleaner through the stem, and then in the shank. Then I fold the pipe cleaner in half to make it wider and use that in the shank again.

drsam

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2011
Everyone seems to have left out what I consider the most important part.
Load up the bowl and light it.

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Everclear is sold in GA, mattmars. We go through a couple gallons a month in our workshop. Shaun uses it in his alcohol lamp and pipe retort so it goes really fast. I think our local liquor store is less than $20 for a gallon.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Usually I just use the pick to break the ash loose. Then use the reamer lightly on the bowl to get any other loose tobacco out. Give a decent blow through the stem incase any tobacco made its way into the shank. Then I let it sit and cool off for a while before running a pipe clearner through the stem and shank. After that I fold the cleaner in half and clean the bowl, and then it's off to the rack for a days rest.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I'm surprised (and a little shocked) at the number of people who remove the stems from the shank after a smoke, even after waiting "a few minutes" for the pipe to cool. I've always considered this to be a huge no-no. The only time I remove the stem (other than with military or spigot mounts) is BEFORE I smoke it, or a day or so AFTER.

Status
Not open for further replies.