Post-Show Reflections (We Might Be the 0.1%)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

23 Fresh Bruno Nuttens Pipes
12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes
36 Fresh Ropp Pipes
1 Fresh Clarin Clay Pipe
24 Fresh Rossi Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Pipe smokers are few and far between when it comes to society overall. The funny thing is that it seems that many of us in the community here, and other similar places may not realize that we are a much smaller minority of an already small minority. We might be the 0.1%. That was one of the pretty interesting things that hit Russ when he reflected back on the recent Chicago pipe show. It's really quite interesting.
Check it out -

Post-Show Reflections

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013

What he asked me was - “So, what percentage of pipe smokers smoke aromatics? 30 to 50 percent?” I told him that according to our sales figures, it’s more like 90 to 95 percent, he looked shocked. I mean, jaw-droppingly, eye-poppingly stunned.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks Kevin and Russ. Great article.
It is interesting that we on this forum are a minor subset of the pipe smoking community. On the surface, doesn't seem like there's enough to this hobby to even warrant a forum; but of course once you stick around you discover that the learning never stops and that there is in fact quite a lot to discuss.
My grandfather was one of the old school type of pipe smokers. I doubt he considered it a "hobby" as much as just a way to enjoy tobacco. And he smoked aromatics, which seems to be the "everyman's" preferred choice.
I also happen to enjoy aromatics quite a lot. I also can appreciate other forms of tobacco, but for me a quality aromatic offers a lot of enjoyment.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Pipe smoking is like any other pastime - it's what you make it. When I was 18, I was a fairly serious golfer. I played to a 3 handicap, and a lipped-out putt or a shank would send me into a tailspin. I threw so many clubs that they should have earned frequent flyer miles. I couldn't understand, but often envied, the "cooler" golfers who went out just to have fun and a few beers.

In a like vein, those of us who appreciate the fine craftsmanship and grain of a well-made pipe, or quality tobaccos, might not understand the Dr. Grabow/PA crowd, but their business helps make every aspect of the hobby possible, and more importantly, they're having some enjoyment in their own way.
Russ

unholy1

Might Stick Around
May 4, 2014
It's true: The bread and butter mass market crates room for the hobbyist market to exist. For example, there are many auto manufacturers who lose money on high line vehicles. Every econobox they sell to a "point A to point B" guy allows them the space to sell that niche vehicle to a connoisseur. In the end, everyone is happy.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Another great article, Russ. Thanks for sharing your insights. It's good to see the camaraderie among competitors. We are all in this thing together!

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
Great article, as usual, from Russ. Actually, there are many great articles here time and time again -- so kudos to Kevin for his role in this.
Yes, there are pipe-smokers out there who have never had tobacco from a tin and who don't frequent this site, as hard as that might be to believe. In some ways, they are much more like our grandfathers than most of us. They have a Grabow and smoke something they can get at the news-stand or convenience mart. That's how it's done.
I knew a guy, used to work with him and we often took the same train, who smoked a pipe. Borkum Riff, I think. He retired a few years ago so I don't see him any more. I don't think he ever cleaned his pipe -- I never, once, saw him with a pipe cleaner -- and he would smoke his pipe until the cake got so thick that the bowl would crack. Then, he'd get another. I thought about offering to ream his pipe for him, but it was pretty clear that he was happy in his ways. I doubt that he ever owned more than one pipe at a time. Rotation? Are you kidding? But, he liked his pipe and enjoyed his smoke on the walk from the train to the office as much as I enjoyed mine. To each, his own.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Great article Russ, thanks.
The guys who only smoke one blend are similar to the guys who smoke machine made cigars. Machine made cigars out sell the hand mades by the millions. I know a guy who buys his Swisher Sweet Wood Tips 500 at a time and that is what he loves smoking. I had a neighbor who only smoked Captain Black Gold and bought a couple of Grabows a year and he was happy. He was in his mid 70's and the Swisher guy is in his late 60's. I wonder if the pipe tobacco companies have done any demographic studies to see who is buying what. It would be interesting to see.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Really interesting. I would be interested in the demographics of the non-"hobbiest" pipe smoker. Where are they? Who are they? I never see them. But obviously they are out there.
An anecdotal observation: I live in a small, rural town. But work often takes me to very large cities. In the grocery stores where I live, the tobacco counter sports plenty of OTC pipe tobaccos. None in the cities. Zero. Should I take this to mean that pipe-smoking of the non-hobbiest variety is more of a small town phenomenon?
Russ, any feedback on this based on your observations?

Status
Not open for further replies.