PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Not to shine up management here or to get goody-two-shoes about rules, but here are two points about writing headlines on original posts. Why all capital first letters on words in a headline? It makes the headline standout, and establishes the subject in a good way. This was a standing tradition in newspapering for centuries, but it is still a good way to keep headlines short and direct, drawing attention to key words. My second point is to please take time to capture the content of your post in the headline. Many/most of our headlines are teasers written to entice people to look without giving any real idea what the post is about. This invites people in who aren't interested in the subject once they get there, or makes people skip the post who are vitally interested and may have special knowledge on the subject. I too have a strong inclination to say "aw the hell with it" about many rules and routines, but I try to stay alert to those that have a useful purpose, and I think the all-initial-caps rule is one of those.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
mso489:
Your point is well taken, but for some reason the title of your thread brought the following to mind:
"Kevin Knows Best"
Coming soon to PM TV: Starring Kevin Godbee as, well, Kevin; Jane Wyatt as Lori; Elinor Donahue as Betty; mso489 as Bud; and Lauren Chapin as Kitten. :)

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I agree. I think it also just gives a clean look, and I feel pipe smoking is the hobby of intellectuals, so a clean thread title with caps falls in line with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.